From Band to Sleeve- Lots of question

happygurl429
on 3/10/14 1:56 am - Belleville, MI

Help!  I got my lap band in July 2008.  I started at 310lbs and lost down to 209lbs.  Slowly and surely over the past couple of years, I have had the weight creep back on.  It started when my band became too tight then I had a small unfill of 1/2cc.  I have gone back and forth for nearly two years with the fill/unfill process and each time I've gained then lost and then gained again.  It's so very frustrating. When the band is too loose, I can eat an entire full size meal and be hungry in two hours. When it's too tight, I cannot even get yogurt or soup down.  It's ridiculous.  Currently, I am at 260lbs and feel like crying. I cannot believe that I've allowed myself to gain like this and that the band has failed me like this.  I followed most of the rules, stopped drinking carbonated drinks entirely, stopped drinking with meals, exercised...etc!  So, now I've decided that I have to take action.  I've pretty much decided on a revision to a sleeve. 

I am really interested to hear from others that have had the same revision done and how your new tool is working for you?  I am terrified to have surgery again..even though my band surgery went perfectly fine. I have four children that count on me and I need to be here for them!  Has anyone had complications?  Hated the sleeve?  Wished they never did it?  Who is happy that they got the sleeve?  How much have you lost and how quickly?  How is your eating pattern?  Any foods you absolutely cannot eat? How soon do you feel full? 

Any advice, encouragement or information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks so much in advance!

Christina

Hislady
on 3/10/14 4:35 am - Vancouver, WA

Well the fill/unfill story is very common with bands and many have revised for just that reason. If I could revise to a sleeve I would, I have other health issues tho that prohibit it, I did have my band removed last month after being in so much pain I just couldn't take it anymore. I know many, many people who have gotten the sleeve and love it, out of all those people I only know of 2 *****ally don't like their sleeves because of reactive hypoglycemia they developed afterwards.

One thing I have learned from all my reading on the sleeve forum is that for the first several weeks you won't feel full or any other feeling from the stomach because when they operate they cut nerves so until those are healed you won't feel anything in your stomach so be aware of that. Otherwise it all just take time to learn how your new stomach works. Try reading on the sleeve forum for awhile and you will learn just about everything you need to know.

Most Active