Surgery Cancelled

Mona Mee
on 3/10/14 12:48 pm - Largo, MD
RNY on 07/17/14

Had the endoscopy today...they found out I have GERD, a pretty medium sized ulcer and a hiatal hernia. My surgeon said it wasn't a good idea to do surgery on me until the ulcer is treated...among other things. So, surgery that was on 3/19 is cancelled until after my 2 month treatment of Protonix is completed to treat the ulcer.  

She also told me I may want to consider the gastric bypass opposed to VSG because of my current GERD issues, even though there's always a chance with either. I have a lot to think about over the next few months. 

I was 6 days into the liquid diet, now I'm scared to eat because my feet will swell up again and hurt. Sounds dumb but it's what I've been dealing with for years and I finally got some relief. I lost 13 lbs too...I'm going to try my best to maintain this weight or lose more...

I was devastated when the surgeon told me, but I'm glad she told me nevertheless.  God clearly says that it is not my time at this very moment regardless of what I wanted or even if anyone thinks that the doc was right or not. Everything happens for a reason...I'll be ready when it's my time ..

Just needed to to reach out.

RNY 7/17/2014!! Decided to stop kidding myself about what I'm really doing with my life. Excited for getting back to me!!   

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 3/10/14 1:15 pm - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

I had horrific GERD before RNY.  My GERD is gone, my big butt is gone, life is good.  

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

deartiara
on 3/10/14 3:43 pm - Seattle

I also suffer with GERD. One of the reasons I am electing to have the RNY. Hope everything works out for you. In due time. 

Mo Diggity
on 3/10/14 6:49 pm - poughkeepsie, NY
RNY on 07/03/13

Sorry you had have your surgery re-scheduled... But I'm also a firm believer in things happen for a reason (at least I make myself feel better when I use that logic lol). Just like the others who posted, I had really bad GERD, Hiatal Hernia & Ulcer before surgery. I had constant heartburn for about a year prior to surgery. Just awful. I had RNY about 8 & 1/2 months ago, and have not had even a millisecond of heartburn pain !! So I'd say yeah, you should definitely look into RNY vs VSG as far as GERD goes. Good Luck !!

Maureen Tired of Living my Life in the Dark

SandieMc49
on 3/10/14 9:15 pm
On March 10, 2014 at 7:48 PM Pacific Time, MonaMee wrote:

Had the endoscopy today...they found out I have GERD, a pretty medium sized ulcer and a hiatal hernia. My surgeon said it wasn't a good idea to do surgery on me until the ulcer is treated...among other things. So, surgery that was on 3/19 is cancelled until after my 2 month treatment of Protonix is completed to treat the ulcer.  

She also told me I may want to consider the gastric bypass opposed to VSG because of my current GERD issues, even though there's always a chance with either. I have a lot to think about over the next few months. 

I was 6 days into the liquid diet, now I'm scared to eat because my feet will swell up again and hurt. Sounds dumb but it's what I've been dealing with for years and I finally got some relief. I lost 13 lbs too...I'm going to try my best to maintain this weight or lose more...

I was devastated when the surgeon told me, but I'm glad she told me nevertheless.  God clearly says that it is not my time at this very moment regardless of what I wanted or even if anyone thinks that the doc was right or not. Everything happens for a reason...I'll be ready when it's my time ..

Just needed to to reach out.

wow, talk about a blessing in disguise!  I had acid reflux so bad that I'd wake up in the middle of the night choking on the acid and gasping for air - and this was WITH my head elevated on pillows!  Immediately after my RNY, my surgeon took me off my Prevacid (max dosage 2x day) and no more GERD!!  I mean, the weight loss was amazing enough - but to not have acid reflux - well, that was a miracle. 

Best of luck on your decision.

Sandy M.
on 3/10/14 9:43 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Hugs.  It'll happen when it's supposed to.  As regards the GERD, ask the surgeon what the likelihood is that it's caused by the hernia.  If it IS caused by the hernia, the problem should resolve itself when the hernia is repaired (or removed if it's part of the stomach removed with VSG).  I felt certain that my GERD was caused by my hernia, since it started about a year after my lap band was placed (which caused the hernia in the first place).  I rolled the dice and went with VSG - my surgeon still has me on a PPI, but more as a preventative than a fix.

Otherwise, RNY is a great surgery as well!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 3/11/14 1:48 am
VSG on 10/09/12

Postponed! Not cancelled!! I had the same thing happen to me. The ulcer and H. Pylori bacteria. No GERD though. The endoscopy did not reveal the hiatal hernia but it was there and the surgeon saw it as soon as he was in there and fixed it. I hope you reschedule soon and pick the surgery that will be right for you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Gwen M.
on 3/11/14 4:41 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm sorry.  Back in January I had an endoscopy that found an ulcer and had to postpone my surgery until Nexium was given the time it needed to work.  Thankfully it was all cleared up after 2 months, so now I'm good to go for Thursday!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Mona Mee
on 3/11/14 5:03 am - Largo, MD
RNY on 07/17/14

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery! This was comforting to know if not alone. Thank you everyone for your xomments...it made me feel super encouraged!!!

RNY 7/17/2014!! Decided to stop kidding myself about what I'm really doing with my life. Excited for getting back to me!!   

PetHairMagnet
on 3/11/14 7:00 am
RNY on 05/13/13

My husband had a SEVERE case of GERD for nearly two decades. It was 100% resolved less than a month after RNY. No WAY would he have done the sleeve after finding out how amazing the RNY was for GERD.  

I am sure you are deeply disappointed, I think I'd have been in tears and very emotional if my date had been rescheduled, but I hope that you'll be able to recognize that it is all for the best once your emotions have had their run and your mind is back in charge. :)

HUGS!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1204 views