Advice for 2-week liquid diet?

AnnyBananny
on 3/9/14 5:51 am - PA
RNY on 03/18/14
With surgery fast approach, I'm into my 2-week liquid diet. I've been doing pretty well, but today I'm shakey and have a terrible headache - but I'm still 2 hours from my next shake!    Any advice for pushing through or how you coped?

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

Gwen M.
on 3/9/14 7:52 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I was allowed chicken broth, crystal ligh****er, and sugar free popsicles.  Those could all help tide you over until your next shake.  

I also kept telling myself, "it will all be better after the first 3-4 days, it will all be better."  Now I'm on day 7 and I'm actually feeling pretty okay.  

You got this.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/9/14 8:28 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I really believe that the shaky feeling and malaise is comparable to withdrawal from heroin.  I was really convinced that I was getting sick from "not eating enough" -- and truly, only my fear of messing up the surgery kept me on track.

I wouldn't have ever believed it, but it really is true that it gets so much easier after 4 or 5 days.  Sure, I still had the head hunger -- but the withdrawal symptoms waned.  

For me, savory flavors were a lifesaver.  I was allowed broth -- so I started with beef, vegetable and chicken broth. However, it was Swanson's Chicken Tortilla broth that really saved me.  It's a bit spicy but it's just broth -- but I really felt like I was eating REAL food.  I even ate it post-op -- and it was a blessing compared to drinking protein shakes.  Also, if you have a vitamin shoppe near you, try Nectar protein in fruit flavors.  They mix with water and only have 100 calories.  That meant that I could have more of them than other shakes and the protein kept me fuller.

Good luck!  You have nothing to lose… but what you want to!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

PetHairMagnet
on 3/11/14 6:57 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On March 9, 2014 at 12:51 PM Pacific Time, AnnyBananny wrote:
With surgery fast approach, I'm into my 2-week liquid diet. I've been doing pretty well, but today I'm shakey and have a terrible headache - but I'm still 2 hours from my next shake!    Any advice for pushing through or how you coped?

My husband had over 6 weeks, I had a day over 3 weeks on the liquid diet. I was telling my nutritionist pre-op that I was concerned and she looked me straight in the eye and said "No one ever starved to death from one shake to the next. You WILL be fine." and she was right. Once I realized that and embraced that, it made a huge difference for me. By day 3 it was totally in hand but the first two days were a bit stressful. 

You are doing great--keep going and if you can...have a sugar free popsicle or jello. :)

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1363 views