Lap Band

-Katie
on 3/9/14 5:51 am - CA

Has any done the lap band surgery first then one of the other ones. My surgeon wants me to do the lap band first because of my size. I am 473 and am his largest patient. I tried having the surgery a few years ago but was not ready at the time. Starting over again.

-Katie

Herman
on 3/9/14 6:03 am

No way would I have the band. At the higher weight you go with a surgery that gives you the best results to start with. Research the DS, don't let the doctor talk you into something like the band. It will only damage your stomach or worse, with bad results.
My first advice would be get a new surgeon, he's got to be kidding to tell you to get the band first.

Lap-band 2007
 DS 2009
Kate -True Brit
on 3/9/14 6:49 am, edited 3/9/14 7:02 am - UK

There was a regular poster on here, think her name was Airhead  (???) who, on surgeon's advice, had the band first and then once she had lost over 100lbs went in to a second surgery. Csn't remember which. I am sending you a PM about it. 

from memory, the surgeon felt that at her very high weight, a long operation would be very high risk, she may have had other medical issues as well, dan't remember. But I do remember that it seemed to work, she did have the second surgery and when she last posted had moved from being wheelchair bound due to her obesity to being active and in regular clothes sizes. 

Edited for typos. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Valerie G.
on 3/9/14 8:36 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Your size is the exact reason NOT to get a LapBand.  I agree with researching the DS. It is highly recommended for the SMO because it has the highest rate of weight loss and the lowest rate of regain.  You've got 3 DS surgeons in CA (not all surgeons know how to do this)

Gregg Jossart, MD *

Sutter Pacific Medical Foundation
1375 Sutter Street, Ste 208
San Francisco, CA 94109
Phone: 415-923-3200

Ara Keshishian, MD, FASMBS, FACS *
Email: [email protected]

Central Valley Bariatrics
1808 Verdugo Blvd., Suite 413
Glendale, CA 91208
Phone: 818-812-7222
Fax: 818-952-0990

Satellite Office:
1205 Garces Highway, Suite 303
Delano, CA 93215

John M. Rabkin, MD, FACS *

Pacific Laparoscopy
2250 Hayes Street, 3rd Floor
San Francisco, CA 94117
Phone: 415-668-3200 or 1-888-848-8446 toll free
Fax: 415-668-2010

BUT if you're considering anything as a first stage, make it a sleeve instead of lapband.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

hipswishingvinegarball
on 3/9/14 8:36 am, edited 3/9/14 8:37 am

Oh my. That is not the advice of a skilled, confident surgeon. The band may be removable, but often leaves damage that is irreversible, and has the lowest success rate. 

At your BMI, you need to research the DS. It has the highest success for both weight loss/maintenance, as well as resolution of co-morbidities of any of the weight loss surgeries. You will have to take many vitamins just as you would with gastric bypass/RNy, but retain your pyloric valve, so you don't risk dumping or reactive hypoglycemia. You can also take NSAIDs for pain with DS, but never again with RNY. 

Do some research, then find a surgeon that can get  you what you need. Good luck.

Bette B.
on 3/9/14 1:04 pm

I have a lap band, love it and have done well with it but I have to ask: why on EARTH would he want you to do it "first" with the plan of going into ANOTHER surgery later??

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Kate -True Brit
on 3/9/14 6:33 pm - UK
On March 9, 2014 at 8:04 PM Pacific Time, Bette B. wrote:

I have a lap band, love it and have done well with it but I have to ask: why on EARTH would he want you to do it "first" with the plan of going into ANOTHER surgery later??

Bette, not giving any view on this, I am not qualified to do so, but my memory is Airhead's doctor wanted the shortest possbke anaestheti****il her health/weight improved. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 3/10/14 1:17 am
VSG on 12/06/12

He could do the sleeve first and the DS after she lost some weight. That is how they used to do it with the SMO. I don't think the sleeve takes much longer than the lapband. I could be wrong though.

Most Active