New to the site and have questions.

Mama2Two
on 3/10/14 3:06 am

Hello everyone!  I just joined the group today.  I'm looking forward to being able to discuss my journey with people that have already been there.  So here's my first post...

I had Roux-en-Y bypass last Monday (so exactly a week ago).  Healing has been going well so far.  My first post-op doc appointment is this Thursday (so 10 days post-op).  Until then I'm supposed to be on a clear liquid diet with a little more than one New Whew (concentrated protein drink) per day.  I can't stand the New Whey.  It literally makes me feel sick and at about 3 days out I got to where I couldn't even attempt to drink it.  I called the nurse practitioner and she said to hold off on it until my first appointment and then we'll move on to something else.  That's fine with me, BUT that means for the last 4 days all I've consumed is clear liquids.  Yesterday I tried to drink some mixed with some diluted apple juice and I couldn't even force myself to do it because I could smell it.  I don't feel hungry but I'm worried that I'm literally starving myself and I know protein is very important at this point.  A full week of only clear liquids with no protein or calories seems like a bad idea.  Am I wrong?  And also do most people have to stick to a clear liquid diet for over a week?  I keep reading online that most people can switch to a liquid diet after they leave the hospital that includes milk or something that has some kind of nutrition to it.  And my last question is what are some good starter foods once I can move on?  I know my doc will give me ideas at my appointment, but I can't help but think about it now.  Thanks in advance for any advice!!  :)

Hislady
on 3/10/14 4:24 am - Vancouver, WA

Don't have alot of answers for you but one thing I have read about is drinking out of a closed container with a straw if allowed or just one that has a hole in the top so you can't smell the drink inside so much. It can help get the protein down. Most all the surgeries have us on either clear liquids or full liquids for at least a week after surgery just so our new tummies don't have to work to digest things while it is so newly operated on. It takes awhile to work up to the numbers of protein and fluid that our docs want us to get, just do the best you can and at this point dehydration is more of a problem than nutrition. So work at staying hydrated most of all, then work at the protein aspect. Good luck to you!

Mama2Two
on 3/10/14 4:30 am

Thank you for your reply!  Unfortunately, I was told no straws.  I have to drink 1 oz at a time every 15 minutes from a little medicine cup so the liquid is right in my face while I try to drink it.  I'm not even sure if it really is the smell or taste that is bothering me now.  If I KNOW it's in there it bothers me.  I know, I'm crazy.  I do think I'm doing well avoiding dehydration.  I have a timer set on my phone to go off every 15 mins to so I remember to drink.  I just hope I am told to move on to full liquids at my appointment on Thursday.  I think that'll help me feel like I'm actually eating something.

poet_kelly
on 3/10/14 4:26 am - OH

The New Whey is almost useless since it's mostly collagen protein which is an incomplete protein.  I'm really sorry to hear your surgeon or his staff recommended it to you.  I would use a clear  protein drink, like isopure or Cytomax, instead.  Those are whey isolate so you'll actually get the protein you need from them.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Mama2Two
on 3/10/14 4:31 am

I've actually read that elsewhere.  I'll look into the Isopure and Cytomax.  How do they taste?

poet_kelly
on 3/10/14 4:37 am - OH

Well, I like the Isopure better myself.  Both taste sorta like Koolaid to me, but the Cytomax I thought had a really bad metallic aftertaste.  The Isopure has a slight metallic aftertaste to me but not as bad.  However, taste is a really individual thing.  I have a friend who thinks the opposite of me - she likes the Cytomax a lot better and hates Isopure.  You can buy individual bottles - 40 grams of protein in 20 oz - at GNC or Vitamin Shoppe, so I'd get a couple different flavors of each and see what you like.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

kanekikitten
on 3/10/14 4:52 am

Hi!  I'm a newbie also.  I'm one month post op!  I began at 217 lbs, and down to 198 today.  As for me, my surgeon told me that we MUST have protein in liquid form.  We had to drink isopure, it's a protein water that has 40% protein.  It comes in a 20 oz. bottle and comes in many flavors.  We were to drink this liquid water, and plain water, or sugar free drink like crystal light.  This was my first 2 weeks after surgery.  I went for my 10 day check up, and told my Dr. how weak I was.  She told me that I'm not drinking enough water and that I was dehydrated.  Oh yes, in week 2, we were allowed protein shakes, but made with water,  Week 3, we could only have soft foods (protein) and at least 120 grams. 

It doesn't seem right that you're without protein.  You need protein to keep you from being weak.  As for me, I hated to drink all tha****er and thought I could get away with not drinking so much.  I found out that I got dehydrated and I was really bad off.  My dr. blasted me also.  You've got to drink that liquid! 

Good luck and hang in there!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1546 views