Birth Control

nflgal00
on 3/10/14 9:25 am - gainesville, FL

Hello All

I am about 4 years post lap-band surgery and looking for the best birth control. I was hoping I could get some input from yall on what is the best kind of birth control for us banders :) I know birth control can possibly be less effective for overweight women.

Thank you for the advice and help.

Dcgirl
on 3/10/14 10:23 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Ironic timing since I just had my annual exam today and I am getting the Mirena on April 4th :) My doctor and I talked and she knows about my RNY and thinks it's best for me :) Maybe see what your ob/gyn thinks? Good luck!

DeDication
on 3/10/14 11:17 am

I would do some research of your own honestly, I have heard many adverse affects of the most popular Birth Control methods and even the less common names. A lot of issues with people getting the Merina as well. I used to be on Ocell and Yaz and those are both causing huge problems, you can see it all over the TV as well. I had gallbladder disease from my Birth Control.

Best Wishes to you ladies!

Mommiecat
on 3/10/14 11:53 am

My nurse at the surgeon's office told me that the birth control pills won't absorb correctly and to seek alternate methods. My OBGYN said it would be fine because the pills absorb in the small intestine, not the stomach. He did switch me to chewable pills to ease my mind though. :)  He is trying to encourage me to use an implant but I am just wigged out by trusting something I can't see or don't 'maintain' on a daily basis. I was a nervous wreck trying to use the Nuva Ring. I didn't want to have to check to make sure it was there all the time.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/10/14 12:16 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I've been on two types of the pill, nuva ring, and the mirena IUD. The IUD is far and away my favorite! I don't have to worry about missing a dose or having it fall out (since my OBGYN says I would definitely notice if it did), and because of that it ends up realistically having the highest effectiveness rates. Plus I haven't had a period in 3 years and no cramps, which used to be completely debilitating. The copper IUD, Paragard, works equally well against pregnancy but has no hormones if that's a concern, and it's good for 7 years as opposed to the 5 for Mirena.

Granted, an IUD does have its risks; there is a chance that it can become embedded in the uterine wall, and if you haven't given birth (and they don't dilate your cervix or numb you up) it can HURT when they put it in. I had ridiculous cramps for 3 days afterwards!

If you're worried about expulsion or perforation, you can also look into Implanon, which is a little plastic device the size of a matchstick that gets implanted under the skin near your elbow, and it's good for 3 years. It does have a higher hormone level than Mirena, if that's a concern.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

MAchick
on 3/10/14 10:34 pm
VSG on 01/27/14
All bc options have pros and cons, so you need to talk to your gyn about which one is best for you. I've tried plenty of pills, but just got the Mirena in November. It sucked going in (no children), but it's great now! I love not having to think about it. Also, it is progesterone only - no estrogen. I was having a lot of issues from the estrogen.

PetHairMagnet
on 3/11/14 7:04 am
RNY on 05/13/13

One word:
Vasectomy!

It is a DELIGHT!! 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

jlsnyder48842
on 3/11/14 9:34 am, edited 3/11/14 9:35 am

I'm pre-op and was on the pill until I made the choice to start the process for surgery. Through research I knew that I would need to go off the pill before surgery and stay off for a while after. I really didn't want to deal with using an alternate method until after surgery and then have the potential for the pill to be less effective. The previous responses about doing some research about what's going to work best for you are accurate. Personally I've had awful experiences with progesterone only BC and I wanted a method I wouldn't have to discontinue and then resume post-op (rules out not pill combination hormone methods). Also I wanted a method that is more reliable than barrier methods so I went with the Paragard IUD (copper). It's been 6 six months and I'm loving it so far but I also read some horror stories. My adjustment phase was pretty average and I bled most days for 2 months straight but now my periods are regular and last about 5 days which is the same as before. When it comes to BC it's all about what you want and what you're willing to deal with.

Most Active