Dr. Recommended

AZ80
on 3/11/14 3:08 am

I have always been highly active, until my thyroid tanked and I gained 40pounds in less than a year.  Now, I have been treated for low thyroid for almost 10-years.  High cholesterol for 12, and borderline high blood pressure for eight.  I am 34, 5'1" tall and currently weigh 188.  My doctor wants me to have weightloss surgery.  I have met with nutritionists, I am eating correctly types of foods and quantities.  I have met with naturopathic doctors who loaded me up with vitamins and supplements.  Everything is functioning as it should.  I am a runner, I have recently finished two 5k races and I am training for a 10k at the end of April. I am still gaining weight, 10 pounds in the last 3 months.  Should I listen to my doctor and go through with his recommendation for surgery?  

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/11/14 6:41 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I would suggest getting a second opinion if you're unsure about proceeding with surgery. It's a big decision and permanent to boot, so research is important! Surgery will restrict the amount you can eat and potentially reduce your feelings of physical hunger, but if you're already eating well and getting lots of exercise, it's possible that there is another cause for the weight gain. Another doctor might be able to help with other tests and help figure out if there's something else going on.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1379 views