duodenal switch vs gastric bypass

tarathetyrant2539
on 3/13/14 2:09 am - Kanata , Canada

So I have done some reading and these are my 2 choices . I would love to hear from all of you amazing people in your decisions on having/to have either one of these surgeries and why ? ... I would love an overload of info if you could spare some time . Thank you so much. I have been reading your stories and everyone on here is fantastic :)

Tracy D.
on 3/13/14 4:17 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Tara - You might want to cross-post this to the specific surgery sites that you're interested in.  Many  people stick to their surgery-specific site and won't see your question.  

As for me, I could have had any of the surgeries:  DS, RNY or VSG.  I chose VSG mainly because I didn't want my intestines re-routed; I absolutely did not want malabsorption issues.  It was also the least invasive surgery offered (my surgeon doesn't do DS laparoscopic).  

The only negative for me is that this particular surgery exacerbated a reflux issue that I didn't even realize I had until post-op.  Like many VSGers, I am taking a medication to control the excess acid.  Even though you have a smaller stomach, your body doesn't realize that for awhile and produces the same amount of acid.  It can be a real problem.  

Best of luck on whatever decision you make! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Sheanie
on 3/13/14 4:43 am

Not everyone CAN get the Duodenal Switch.  If that's what you want, look into the protein requirements.  If you're a vegetarian, cannot or won't take vitamins, and won't go for yearly (or more frequent) lab tests to check your fat soluble vitamin levels, then the DS is not for you.  Unfortunately, if your BMI is very high, the DS is your best option.  The DS requires a very skilled surgeon to perform it, so it will be harder to locate a surgeon near you to do it. 

I'd recommend you visit the specific forums of each surgery type and read what problems people are having, and how they fix them.  Pay attention to what foods they can and cannot eat. 

I.  am.  not.  a.  doctor.

HW 250ish  SW 219  CW 110  LW 100

tarathetyrant2539
on 3/13/14 4:58 am - Kanata , Canada

I was content with the gastric bypass that dr. Dent had suggested .ohip as I have read only covers out of Canada DS.. .. I was feeling confident with my decision and dr dent and now after much reading I am stressed.

Lisarn1
on 3/15/14 4:07 am - Raleigh, NC

While I agree that the decision on which surgery someone decides upon should be based on research and how we'll it fits into lifestyle, I just want to comment on what was said about vegetarianism not working well with the DS. Although I chose RNY, I feel pretty confident in speaking about how vegetarianism can fit into my lifestyle. Basically, I am not Vegan, but I am able to get between 90-120 gms of high quality protein per day, depending on my day. My protein choices include Greek yogurt, eggs (or Egg Substitute), low fat cheese, beans, and fish 1-2 days a week (yes, I am Pescaterian). On the days that I run light I use protein powder as an occasional supplement.

In weighing in on information, I had an RNY in 2009. I lost about 100 Lbs, and rebounded about 20-25 Lbs over the last year or two. Right now I am on the downward trend with weight loss because I have an anastomotic ulcer (seems that I am prone to them, and get them every couple of years). I really do not do anything to promote the ulcers, but I guess that they might be aggravated by stress (mostly job related). These are not pleasant, and right now I am on a liquid/puréed diet, but I will eventually progress my diet back to normal in about a month, or so. I figure that if this is the worst thing I have to deal with on a periodic basis, I'm ok with it. Right now I'm back to the basics, which is no bad thing. 

Other than the ulcers, I wouldn't change my choice. I struggle like many in balancing my vitamins and other supplements, but if you stay consistent and address issues as they arise, you should do fine regardless of you surgical choices.

RNY 10/19/09 - Revision to VSG 10/13/14 - Dr Paul Enochs 

msstaceya
on 3/13/14 6:19 am - Orlando, FL

Tara,

Dont be discouraged or scared.  I did all my research as well like u did and decided on the gastric bypass..started going to the dr and he decided to do the switch...i was scared at first because i had never heard of it.  after doing more research im a certain this is the right thing for me to do.  i recommend research reearch research!!!! my date is scheduled for april 30th....im here if u ever need to talk or have questions about anything...

Beam me up Scottie
on 3/13/14 12:48 pm
I chose the DS a long time ago (at least in WLS land)....I chose it because of the research on long term weight loss maintenance. What you find is that all WLS will help you lose weight- but the DS has the best record for helping people lose the most weight and keeping the weight off long term.

I haven't had issues, I eat normally....and you have to take Vits with all surgeries....so whats the big deal about taking a few more? I lost 300 lbs, had a 20 lb bounce back and I'm ok with that. I'm 8 years out..and loving life.
Valerie G.
on 3/14/14 1:59 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I, too am 8yrs + from the DS.  I chose it for the superior long term maintained results.  Once upon a time here they had a forum for wls regrets and wls gone wrong, and I saw little or no posts about the DS at all.  That said a lot.  Malabsorption is more of a benefit to most of us than an "issue".  The main difference is in the level of knowledge on how to live with it.  If you understand your nutritional needs, then you work to maintain your health. 

If you want a procedure that you can walk away from and forget you ever had wls, then neither option is good, but the VSG would be the better option for that.  Both the RNY and DS will require said knowledge about staying nutritionally healthy in each of their own respect, so expect to learn a LOT.  I found that I learn more about lving as a DSer from those who have walked in my shoes than any medical professional that has me lumped into a "wls folder" that doesn't differentiate.

My 2¢

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1347 views