I am new and looking for any helpful info

tarathetyrant2539
on 3/12/14 11:55 pm - Kanata , Canada

Hello I have been going to the weight management clinic for over a year now . The process has been long due to my depression and having to quit smoking . I had to see te phycologist for a bit to make sure I would be ok after surgery . I have read some posts on here and noticed there are 3 types of surgeries ?? I had no idea and Dr. sent never mentioned it. If anyone could explain them I would be grateful . I will do some research as well. I have an appointment with him on April 23rd then I am going to some group to hear about the 3 options that are available (surgery ,opti-fast ect) I have already decided on surgery . My other question is what is the next process and should my wait expectation be another year or 2 . I understand it is not something to rush into but I feel awful and sick all the time and just don't really see a light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you for letting me vent . I just want to start enjoying my life with my 4 kids :(

Member Services
on 3/13/14 1:17 am - Irvine, CA

Congratulations on taking control of your life and your weight loss journey.   ​ We suggest you research all your options for WLS and OH is the right place for that.  Once you have reviewed your options surgery wise and decided on one then your next step is to find a surgeon.  We can help you with that.     ​​ Here are some links that will be helpful in your research. 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/choice-of-bariatric-proc edure-a-philosophy-obtained-in-20-years-of-bariatric-practic e-2/http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/choice-of-bariatric-proc edure-a-philosophy-obtained-in-20-years-of-bariatric-practic e-2/  

Let us know if you need anything else.

MsBatt
on 3/13/14 1:48 am

Nope---there are FOUR! (The LapBand and the Realize Band are petty much the same thing, and the least effective form, with the most complications. I suggest crossing it off your list.)

There's also another restriction-only procedure, called the VSG or Sleeve. Basically how it works is by reducing the size of your stomach, making it difficult for you to eat much at one sitting If you lose weight easily when you stick to a diet, this might be a good choice for you. Since the excess stomach tissue, and most of the tissue that produces the 'hunger hormone', ghrelin, is completely removed from the body, you can still take NSAIDs. (Google them---you'll be surprised at all the things they're in.)

If you DON'T lose weight easily but struggle for every single pound, then you should probably be looking at a surgery that also has a malabsorption component, like the RNY/gastric bypass or the DS/duodenal switch.

The RNY separates your present stomach into a tiny little pouch and a huge, blind, remnant stomach. Because of this remnant stomach, RNY patients are advised to give up NSAIDs. An ulcer can form in the blind stomach, but it can't be 'scoped. Then, a new opening from the pouch, called a stoma, is created to take the place of your pylorus. Unlike your pylorus, this opening is ALWAYS open, and this can lead to complications like dumping syndrome, reactive hypoglycemia, strictures, getting food stuck, etc. Also, over time this opening can stretch, leading to loss of restriction and regain.

A small amount of the small intestine is bypassed---usually no more than 150 cms of a gut that averages between 600-700 cms. This causes temporary malabsorption of a small per centage of the calories you eat. This goes away after about 18-24 months. However, because of what part of the small intestine is bypassed, the RNY causes permanent malabsorption of certain vitamins and minerals. You'll need to take daily vitamins and minerals for life.

Finally, there's the DS, the most effective form of WLS for keeping your weight off long-term. (It's also the most effective in resolving or preventing things like diabetes and high cholesterol.) The stomach part of the DS is the same as the Sleeve, with the same advantages. The DS also has an intestinal bypass similar to, but more effective than, that of the RNY. The DS causes permanent malabsorption of a significant per centage of the calories you eat, especially calories from fat. Of course, it also causes permanent malabsorption of crtain vitamins and minerals, but not necessarily the same ones as the RNY.

I suggest you visit all the surgical boards, including the Revision board. Talk with people who've been living with their surgery at least 3 years. Find out what they love about their surgery, and what they hate. Think about how YOU want to live---and eat!---for the rest of your life. I also suggest that you choose your surgery type first, then choose the surgeon you want. Not all surgeons perform all four types.

poet_kelly
on 3/13/14 3:23 am - OH

There are four main types of surgery.  Lap band, RNY gastric bypass, vertical sleeve gastrectomy and duodenal switch.  If your doctor hasn't discussed that with you, I would see another doctor.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1517 views