Protein Shakes Causing Loose BM's

Newstart2014
on 3/13/14 1:07 am - NC

I haven't had surgery yet.  I'm waiting on insurance to approve my RNY.  On my own, I've starting drinking 3 Atkins Shakes a day (breakfast, lunch afternoon snack), and then eating a "normal" supper.  Could this be causing loose BM's? I don't want to cause damage my system.  Hope this question is okay to ask............

newyork48
on 3/13/14 2:22 am

I don't know about the Atkins shakes, but when I did my liver reduction diet I used the Bariatric Fusion shakes and they DEFINITELY gave me the runs.  It began on my first day using them and lasted the entire time I drank them.  My doctor was not surprised and thought it might have something to do with the extra protein in them.  Just be sure to drink a LOT of water and other liquids with them. 

SunnyGal14
on 3/13/14 2:26 am
VSG on 08/06/14

I drink up to 3 Adkins shakes a day also and have not had a problem, but I would think that each person handles it differently.   Maybe try cutting back to one a day for a couple of days and see if that helps.  Good luck! 

Vsg on 8/6/14  5'8" HW 266 SW 243 CW 169 GW 155. 

SunnyGal14
on 3/13/14 2:30 am
VSG on 08/06/14
poet_kelly
on 3/13/14 3:22 am - OH

Yep.  Do you normally drink a lot of milk?  If not, then you may be somewhat lactose intolerant.  Try a lactose free shake.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Patm
on 3/13/14 3:41 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Look at what additives are in them. Some of these shakes have thickeners. I cannot nor have I ever tolerated Guar gum, carrageen gum or some of the others. Try a different shake

Newstart2014
on 3/13/14 4:05 am - NC

Thanks for all the replies. I don't normally drink a lot of milk so it could be the reason. I'm going to take a better look at the ingredients. 

deartiara
on 3/13/14 7:11 am - Seattle
On March 13, 2014 at 8:07 AM Pacific Time, Newstart2014 wrote:

I haven't had surgery yet.  I'm waiting on insurance to approve my RNY.  On my own, I've starting drinking 3 Atkins Shakes a day (breakfast, lunch afternoon snack), and then eating a "normal" supper.  Could this be causing loose BM's? I don't want to cause damage my system.  Hope this question is okay to ask............

YES! I am normally a bit constipated. However, since starting the pre-op diet I have the runs. I drink Atkins, a higher protein shake from Costco, and another from Wal-Mart. They all give me the runs. I was on the Optifast diet back in 2009 and had similar side effects. I would say drink a enough G2 and Electrolyte containing beverages to ensure you are hydrated. Good luck.

pebtash
on 3/30/14 12:17 pm
VSG on 11/25/14

one of the times that I lost 100 pound (and gained it back and then some) I did the Atkins diet. As with any sugar free product some people (myself included) have stomachs that are more sensitive to the artificial sweetner, there for some people can only tolerate a small amount of the sweetner they use. This can cause loose BM'S and gas. It sounds like u might be one of them. Beware if u are having loose stools from this it can happen without your stomach letting u know something is coming.

Newstart2014
on 3/13/14 7:32 am - NC

Thanks again all !  Thankfully all I drink is water so I should be getting plenty. 

Most Active