Sugar Detox

Softballgal73
on 3/14/14 1:42 am

I need to get myself off of sugar. I have fallen off the wagon and I need to fix this before it gets out of hand. I have went back to eating donuts and cookies etc...

I feel like it has become a drug again. I really don't want to go down this road again. When I try to cut back, I just crave carbs and actually get shaky and weak feeling.  Any advice appreciated.

(2 years out) 100 lbs lost.

Tracy D.
on 3/14/14 3:18 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Well, I'm going to say what everyone else on this board will tell you:  you're just going to have to suck it up and white-knuckle it for about 5-7 days.  Yes, you will be shaky and weak and feel like crap.  But at the end of it you will feel GREAT!   

No sugar, no white flour, do lowest carbs possible and pack in the protein and lots of water.  I wouldn't even worry about calories; if you find yourself getting hungry, snack on protein or good fats (almonds, avocado, etc.)   It will take a good 3-4 days for you to feel better but continue strong for a week.  

The key is to NOT go back to eating sugar again.  It's so much harder to stop the sugar-train than to just not ever get on it :-) 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

LillyMae62
on 3/14/14 4:19 am - Albany, OR

you are so right, way easier to stay off the train than get back off!  But it can be done :)

Lilly

Give thanks for what you are now, and keep fighting for what you want to be tomorrow.         ~Fernanda Miramontes-Landeros                               

Linda_S
on 3/14/14 5:38 am - Eugene, OR

Do your best to cut it out.  The shaky and weak feeling thing is reactive hypoglycemia, which can worsen over time.  You don't want to go down that road.  Trust me, it's not a happy place.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

kathkeb
on 3/14/14 4:17 pm

When I want to get away from sugar I clean it out of the pantry and fridge and then I stock up on some favorite proteins and fats ..... Shrimp, nuts, cheese.

I eat a little higher fat than normal to substitute for the sugar.  I plan to go to bed early after a nice relaxing bath and I start a new knitting project to distract myself from food for a few days.

Good luck!!!

Kath

Most Active