so curious. so anxious.

melpo57
on 3/16/14 3:44 am

Hi everyone! I'm new to the group and will be having RNY soon. I meet with Dr cyriac for the first time on April 25th. I purchase my optifast the same day. How soon after Will I be looking forward to the surgery? What will this initial meet and greet be about?

luxurycouture
on 3/19/14 2:48 pm

Everybody has a different experience and that all depends on your insurance, doctor and many other factors. It seems to me that you are moving at a pretty fast rate.

I had to send in a patient questionnaire to the surgeon's office in back in early February and then they assigned me a seminar that I had to attend 3/18 and I meet with the surgeon for the first appt 4/24. I think the initial visit with the surgeon is to evaluate you to make sure you are a good canidate for surgery and go over your health history etc... Then after that there are tests etc... It seems that different surgeons have different programs and different insurances have different requirements that you must fulfill before surgery. 

Life is what happens to you while you?re busy making other plans. ?John Lennon

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/20/14 3:33 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Everybody goes through a different process, and it's often dependent on your insurance approval process.

Usually, the first appointment is to discuss your medical history and make sure the surgery is right for you. You'll likely also go over what your insurance requires for approval, which often includes a medically-supervised diet (they seem to range from 2 to 6 months), medical records, or referrals from other doctors, and potentially other tests like sleep studies and psych evals.

Once all of that is done, the paperwork is submitted to insurance for approval, it seems to take about 2 weeks to process, and then most people are scheduled for surgery and have it done within a few weeks to a month.

In my case, my insurance required a 2-month supervised diet. My first appointment was in September, and my surgery was in December, so the whole process took about 3 months.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1368 views