insurance and bmi and comorbidities.. oh my!

dalaimama
on 3/15/14 4:29 am

So I've had my initial visit with the insurance chick :) and I'm getting my ducks in a row. Well, it turns out so far I've not found anything from 2012 that shows my bmi over 40 (39.9..geez! lol) so I'm trying to determine just how big a problem this is going to be with Aetna (they require 40 over the last two years or 35 with comorbidities)

At the time I did not have any comorbidities, but since then my doc said he considered me to have diabetes but that I'm well controlled with diet alone. I guess what I'm wondering is.. do I have to show the comorbidity over both the last two years or is it okay if I just have it now? Argh. It's confusing, I'll check with the "insurance chick" again Monday and see but just wondered if any of you have any experience or wisdom to share?

~Cheryl

Eggface
on 3/15/14 11:53 pm, edited 3/16/14 12:00 am - Sunny Southern, CA

If you went to the Gynecologist or a Chiropractor or went to an Urgent Care during that year perhaps they have something noted. It's better if you have all they request... makes things easier for sure (that is if your think you might have been over 40 BMI)

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

dalaimama
on 3/16/14 12:55 am, edited 3/16/14 12:57 am

Thanks for replying :) yeah, you're right.. I'm going to see if they'll let me comb through my record at my PCP's office (since I'm a coder for the same health organization and it's my record, I'm hoping they won't freak if I ask..it'll save them time anyway lol) to find supportive info. I just wanna make sure I'm in control of what is faxed to my surgeon, if it's not going to help me no one needs to see it lol

I finally came to the conclusion that worst case scenario is that I'll have to wait until the beginning of 2015 then I'll definitely have two years of 40 bmi's :) It'll work out one way or another!

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 3/16/14 11:03 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

Have you done a sleep study? Sleep apnea would be a co morbidity.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/17/14 1:31 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I was actually in the exact same boat, though I needed 5 years' records instead of 2. I had 2 years of BMI 35+, 3 years of 40+, and my apnea/blood pressure diagnoses only came in the last year and a half. I was approved with no trouble (BCBS Arizona), though you may want to call Aetna and ask just to be certain.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1401 views