Overweight and a Mess

Nedlog1981
on 3/16/14 1:41 pm - Brantford, Canada

Hi Everyone,

I'm Scott, I've been overweight as long as I can remember.  I've tried almost all the diets - High Protien, Low Sugar, High Fat, Pills (Xenical, and commercial "try it and you won't believe the results!" pills)  two years ago, I lost about 80lbs in about 3 months,  then it plateaued for a LONG TIME, and I gave up, like I always do.  I then put on 150 pounds, and i'm currently at my heaviest ever, at 450lbs.  

I can't do anything right now.   I can honestly see why all those people on the TLC fat shows just lay in bed.   It's painful to get up.  I have cronic back pain, and my legs balloon up all day, which are painful.  I have uncontrolled Asthma, and just going up the stairs makes me feel like my heart is going to explode!  I need a change.

my 'doctor' put in a referral to see a Bariatric surgeon last November.  i'm really hoping this happens soon.  I went to this clinic in the past, but was set hard on believing, I got myself into this mess, it's my responsibility to get out of it.  I've realized now, that it's not so bad to ask for help once in a while.  i'm too far gone right now. I need help.  I have two special needs kids who both suffer from Epilepsy and Juvenile Arthritis.  My oldest son has an intellectual disability, and I feel with the condition i'm in right now, i'm leaving a very unfair life for their mom/my wife.   I dream of dying often - and that sucks.  I look at it as, by me not asking for help,  i'm endangering my family.

Just looking for any sort of advice for a guy in my position, and looking to meet anyone who has been here.  

thanks for reading my post everyone.  

Best, 

Scott

AlmaDanks
on 3/17/14 1:30 am

Make sure to see your doctor and let him/her know about your depression. Don't give up hope about the weight loss, but the first step should be taking care of the depression you are suffering from. You have recognized the problem, that's always the first step.

Alma Danks 

michael "I didn't do
it!" w

on 3/17/14 2:00 am - Festus, MO
VSG on 12/18/13

Hey Scott, welcome to the boards.   You and I are pretty similar.  When I made the call to lose I was 495.  I'm down to 315 now.  I did some on my own at first, and then I had surgery last december.  I was 387 pre-op, 361 the day of surgery.  It's been 3 months tomorrow for me. 

Your motivations are very similar to mine.  Get out of pain, reclaim my life, protect my family.  Simple and important.  

I can't say I'm an expert, but there are alot of good people here that are veterans with long term loss.  I'll tell you anything you want to know about my experience, but there's still alot I'm learning.  The first piece of advice I'll give you is that you need to really educate yourself on the various procedures.  I imagine you're looking at DS, RNY, or sleeve.  You need to learn the differences.  Then you need to start talking to a medical team.  That needs to include your PCP, your surgeon, and your therapist.  You will need all three to be successful. Next, you need to take control.  If you're only going this route because your doc suggested it, you aren't ready.  You have to want this with every cell in your body to make it successful (at least my opinion is such). 

Holler if you want to catch up, or ask any questions.  I've posted alot on here, so you can check out my journey too. 

HW: 495  Consult: 390  SW: 361 CW: 289

April is Autism Awareness Month!

Patm
on 3/17/14 4:32 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

You might also want to post this on the Ontario board.http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/

Good luck to you.

TheDeathStar
on 3/17/14 12:04 pm
VSG on 10/29/13

I was 477 at my absolute heaviest, and I can tell you from experience, it SUCKS weighing that much! It hurts! Everything hurts. It hurts to sit, it hurts to stand, it hurts to walk, it hurts to sleep. It hurts your feelings. I think part of it is the hormonal impact of those extra fat cells on your brain, but that starts off a chain reaction that just makes you feel awful ALL THE TIME. 

You're already on the right track, though. Don't let fear get in between you and a better life. I was worried about recovery time from surgery, but recovery for me was about 2 weeks, and I really wasn't in great health. I was 454 pounds when I had my surgery, and after less than 100 pounds lost, I already have more energy, and the process of going through the surgery also put me on track to get other parts of my life on track. I see a therapist now, I'm on the meds I need, and I'm better about treating my other health conditions.

What I'm trying to say is this: You are DEFINITELY not alone in this. You're on the right track, and by getting weight loss surgery, you're taking responsibility to get your life back together. I'm glad you're doing this. 

Grim_Traveller
on 3/17/14 12:19 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I topped out at 475 -- at least that was the heaviest when I actually weighed myself. I'm now 185,and life is much, much better. It's not perfect. I did a lot of damage to myself. I still need two new knees, since I destroyed my original equipment, and in the meantime I still have a lot of pain. I guess what I'm saying is, surgery will help you lose a lot of weight, but it doesn't fix everything.

But I am off all meds, my blood sugar is normal, and I can do a lot more than I used to. I have absolutely no regrets.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Ken C.
on 3/17/14 12:26 pm
VSG on 03/11/14

Hey Scott

My advice is to go into it with an open mind and a desire to change. The preoperative plan will put you in behavior mod mode and commit to the plan. It is hard at first, but just be transparent with your provider and your half way there!

Mary Gee
on 3/17/14 11:02 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Hi Scott - Welcome to the Boards!

As Patm suggested, also post on the Ontario Board.  Unfortunately, health care in Canada seems to move slower than in the US.  People on the Ontario Board can give you better information on how the process works there.  But of course, read the main boards here too for information!

One thing I suggest is make sure you keep moving - don't settle and live your life in bed or a recliner.  I've watched those shows (My 600 Pound Life) and you'll notice the more mobile people seem to be more successful once they've had surgery.  The ones that live in bed are less successful.  Mobile people are more positive in their outlook and tend to take care of themselves and not rely on others.

Best of luck to you.  Stay committed, because your life will be a thousand times better!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

71dart
on 3/18/14 2:19 am
VSG on 08/06/12 with

When I started I had 100+ lbs on you. I've lost nearly 300 lbs so far and have been through a total life transformation. I can't even list all of the changes. 

It is worth it. You are worth it. Life is good! 

Nedlog1981
on 3/18/14 12:04 pm - Brantford, Canada

Thanks Everyone for your support!

I'd like to comment on some of your posts.  I'm overwhelmed by the support so far.  I wish I had this good of support in real life!

AlmaDanks:  I am getting some help for my depression.  i'm on a med right now, that isn't quite enough, and hopefully I can get that changed soon.  It doesn't help that my kids have special needs, and their medical diagnosis is always changing.  its stressful.  Add that to my physical health worries, and its definiatly a recipe for disaster.  I think i'm handling it well for the most part, but it could always use improvement.

MichaelW: our motivations are exactly the same. Step 1 was to get on the waiting list.  I've been on since November, so hopefully I should have my first appointment soon to get the ball rolling.  This is step 2 for me.  Joining boards, and joining discussions about what to expect pre/during/post operation.  I used to think this was the easy way out,  but I do understand that this is - in a lot of ways - the harder way.  I look forward to looking more into your journey!

Patm:  I'm learning stuff already!  I didn't know there was an Ontario Specific board.  i'll definiately post my message there as well, but i'm glad I posted here first, as I wouldn't have met you all if I did :)

TheDeathStar: you are absolutely right.  the pain is unbearable.   Your user name is very topical in my life, as my wife says I breath like Darth Vader every day! lol Fear towards the procedure itself isn't an issue for me right now.  My biggest fear is dying, and leaving my wife and my family without me.  I fear NOT having the surgery more.  I'm ready for this. thanks for your comments!

Grim_traveller:  I am fortunate *knock on wood*  that my knees are pretty good.   I see a lot of overweight people having knee issues.   I'm fortunate enough have enough muscle that it's keeping my body together.  At least thats what I like to believe. :)  Ultimate goal, to be off all meds and be able to play with my kids in the park.  Seems simple enough. 

KenC: Open mind: Check, Desire to change: Check.  the hardest thing I think will be the pre-op stuff,  changing the current behaviors .  On my last diet,  I cut all carbs and sugars.  the first two weeks after I started that... wow...  If I could imagine what it would be like to come off heroin,  that would be it.  I thought I was going to die.   No one believes that there's withdrawl from carbs, but there totally is.

MaryGee:  As much as i'd love to rest all day, there's no way I can do that.  My boys keep my quite busy.  I work full time in an office but I often work 10 hour shifts.   I still go out on weekends and have fun.    Just because I'm in pain, I still control my life.  

71Dart:  Amazing story!  Congrats on the HUGE accomplishment.

Most Active