Straws or no straws, that is the question

mimiof2wins
on 3/18/14 1:01 pm, edited 3/18/14 1:33 pm - CA
RNY on 01/16/14

Straws or no straws, that is the question!  I find it easier to drink my quota of liquid when I use a straw. My surgeon says no but what do you all do?

MyLady Heidi
on 3/18/14 6:14 pm

I have used a straw since day one.  The no straw thing is crazy.

poet_kelly
on 3/18/14 8:32 pm - OH

Why does your surgeon say  no?

I use a straw all the time.  I guess it causes some people to take in extra air and gives them uncomfortable gas, but it doesn't do that to me.  That's the only reason I know of not to use one.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

mimiof2wins
on 3/19/14 11:11 am - CA
RNY on 01/16/14

My surgeon said drinking with a straw would allow extra air into the pouch. I just tried drinking with a straw yesterday for the first time since surgery and I didn't notice any excess air.  I did notice that it was easier to get down a lot of fluid.

JJ0609
on 3/19/14 12:15 am, edited 3/19/14 12:15 am

It took me a long time to try a straw because I was scared due to the debate. I do not suffer any consequences from using one. I guess because I already am gassy. LOL! I have noticed that I get in more liquids by using one.

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

Sheanie
on 3/19/14 3:06 pm

This is one of those YMMV (your mileage may vary) kind of things that's different for everyone.  If YOU can drink through a straw without swallowing extra air, then DO IT.  You do what works best for you.  Absorb the advice that suits you, squeeze out the rest like a sponge.

I.  am.  not.  a.  doctor.

HW 250ish  SW 219  CW 110  LW 100

dragonlove
on 3/20/14 9:22 am
RNY on 11/20/13

Agree with above posters.  My NUT & Surgeon said not to use them for several months (maybe 3?)  When I went for my 6 week checkup, I asked my NUT about them and she said I should probably wait a while.  I said that when driving on long trips I have had to use them because I don't want to sip from the cup and block my vision so much.  She stated it was just because many people take in air using a straw and get uncomfortable. She said that if it didn't give me any problems, then I was fine to use them when I liked.

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

Most Active