Which surgery first?

Retro Gal
on 3/20/14 12:47 pm
RNY on 05/06/14

I will need a rectocele surgery (prolapsed rectum) as well as RNY this year.  Which should I do first?  How far apart should they be?  Any physician's opinion would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Kate -True Brit
on 3/20/14 6:26 pm - UK

Probably best to ask a doctor rather than an unknown group of medically unqualified strangers! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Jen Lyn
on 3/20/14 7:23 pm
RNY on 11/11/13

I would want the rectum healed first. Since my RNY, poop is difficult at times with huge, hard stools.  

poet_kelly
on 3/20/14 8:24 pm - OH

If you want a physician's opinion, which I think is a good idea, why  not ask your physician?  Even if there is a physician on this forum, they've never seen you or examined you or looked at your records, so they would be unable to advise you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

michael "I didn't do
it!" w

on 3/20/14 11:09 pm - Festus, MO
VSG on 12/18/13

This is not a medical opinion, but a practical one. :)

When you have any WLS (I had VSG, but I understand it happens with RNY too), your posterior is going to get quite the workout pre-op with the liver shrinking diet, and then more post-op with re-learning to eat through the food stages.  Then, when it's time to start exercising, a prolapse will impact your ability to work out and maintain your strength. 

I definitely think you need to talk to a real doctor, but from just a practicality standpoint it seems that having the RNY first puts you at greater risk for discomfort and injury if you expect to follow all of the rules.

HW: 495  Consult: 390  SW: 361 CW: 289

April is Autism Awareness Month!

White Dove
on 3/21/14 8:07 am - Warren, OH

The weight loss surgery made my rectocele harder to deal with.  I wish I had had it fixed before the surgery.

Retro Gal
on 3/22/14 2:49 am
RNY on 05/06/14

Thanks for your input.  Can you tell me in what way the weight loss surgery made the rectocele surgery harder to deal with?  Thanks?

Height 5'9", Heaviest: 321, Pre-Opti Program: 296, Preop: 250, Preop BMI: 36, RNY May 6, 2014.

White Dove
on 3/22/14 12:33 pm - Warren, OH

The rectocele was never a problem before surgery.  After the surgery, I needed stool softeners to avoid constipation, but doing that resulted in softer stools that would get stuck behind the rectocele.  It was difficult to empty my rectum.  Often the leftover stool would come leaking out later in the day.  Very messy and unpleasant to live with and wished I had had it fixed before the RNY.

Retro Gal
on 3/22/14 12:58 pm
RNY on 05/06/14

Thank you for sharing!  I appreciate it!

Height 5'9", Heaviest: 321, Pre-Opti Program: 296, Preop: 250, Preop BMI: 36, RNY May 6, 2014.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1425 views