Same Day / Surgery Center

Shoebie
on 3/22/14 11:06 pm

Has any one had the sleeve in a surgery center and sent home same day? My insurance will cover hospital or surgery center but my surgeon is choosing to do it same day in a surgery center. This makes me relieved that I can come home and be with my family and not alone at the hospital but scares me about going home hours later with the pain and gas :/ anyone have experience getting this done at a surgery center I feel like i'm going through the drive through ha

Hislady
on 3/23/14 3:15 am - Vancouver, WA

Personally I wouldn't want to, with that serious a surgery. I've had a few out patient surgeries on my feet but where they are taking out over half your stomach I'd want to stay at least overnight. That's just me tho.

Gwen M.
on 3/23/14 3:54 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I would not want to get this surgery outside of a hospital.  A hospital provides me with a lot of peace of mind - if something goes wrong, I know that the surgeon will have all the resources of a hospital at his disposal.  

I was also grateful for the one night I spent in the hospital.  I had pain and nausea that first day and slept a lot.  I know I wouldn't have been able to get the same level of rest, or care, at home.  And my family doesn't consist of trained professionals who can help me through whatever issues happen.  Plus there's that whole leak test the next morning that can be done (and should be done) before going home.  In the hospital I could be on the IV until I was cleared to take fluids via mouth.  

I would seriously side-eye a surgeon that wanted to do this same day or in a surgery center instead of a hospital.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 3/23/14 4:52 am, edited 3/23/14 4:54 am
VSG on 10/09/12

I did. My surgery was in a mall...that is where the surgical centre was/is. I had surgery at 4 p.m. and at 9 a.m. the following morning was moved to a hotel with a nurse for 24 hrs and then went home. The overnight in the surgical centre was like being in recovery/ICU type of set up. There were no rooms, just curtains between the stalls where the beds were. I didn't care much. It was just fine. No nonsense and no frills or fuss. They had all the necessary equipment to deal with any emergency that could come up post op. I actually prefer this set up to a hospital. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

snbloom8
on 3/23/14 5:18 am - WA
VSG on 06/03/13

I had VSG done as an out patient procedure and had a great experience. My surgeon's office is known for it though and they have their procedure down to a T. I would make sure your surgeon's office has been successful at out patience procedures for a while. Have them walk you through it well in advance, and make sure they have access to a hospital should anything go awry. Good luck! 

Shoebie
on 3/23/14 7:18 am

Thanks for the feed back my surgeon is recognized by the center of excellence for doing this as outpatient. Until this board (i was on other sites) I was unable to find anyone who had this as an outpatient procedure and that was making me nervous. Its nice to hear other people had it done as an out patient procedure finally ! 

Most Active