How long do I have schedule surgery?

sdkitty
on 3/24/14 1:09 am, edited 3/24/14 1:12 am

Hi - I have 2 visits left with my surgeon (one being this evening) before I can schedule surgery. I have been 'jumping through hoops' for the insurance with appointments, tests, etc. since October. I had my pre-op bloodwork in January and endoscopy. During my endoscopy my temperature was 100, but I wasn't sick. I had an appointment with my asthma doctor a week later - I was still fevered at 99.5. My bloodwork came back elevated (WBC 12,000, Sed Rate 22, Iron deficient). I waited until March 1st to make an appointment with my family doctor. She gave me a round of antibiotics and again she checked my temp and my bloodwork and both were still elevated (the same). I went back to her Friday and she can feel several lymph nodes that are enlarged and I'm still having a fever that comes and goes. Something is definitely going on with me. She said I cannot have surgery until this is figured out. I'm so scared I'll lose all the progress I've made since October and have to start from the beginning. I can't get ahold of my surgeon's office. So I'm just wondering if anyone knows how long I have to schedule surgery after my last appointment seeing the surgeon. My insurance is Blue Cross.

poet_kelly
on 3/24/14 1:27 am - OH

That would be up to your surgeon.

If your insurance pre-approves WLS and you've already received approval, there may be a time limit for that, as well.  If that's the case, it should have a date on the letter of approval you received, so check that.  If you haven't been pre-approved yet, then your insurance isn't an issue.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/24/14 7:39 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

The surgery date will also factor in how long you have to be on a liquid diet as well as when your insurance approves you, it can vary from a few days to 2 weeks, approximately. The liquid diet can be a couple of weeks or more, depends on your surgeon.

mimiof2wins
on 3/24/14 11:12 am - CA
RNY on 01/16/14

I also have Blue Cross (Anthem Blue Cross).  I know that there are different plans within Blue Cross but my plan sent me a letter of approval which stated that I had 90 days from the date of approval to have the surgery.  If it couldn't be done in the 90 days, then I would have to get another approval.  Since I had been going through all the hoops that they gave me to do, the 90 day deadline was easy to make.

Good luck and God bless.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1480 views