HELP! 10 years Post Op and Gaining

kathkeb
on 3/23/14 2:24 pm

When I need to detox from carbs, I do a few things.

1.  Clean the kitchen and toss them out

2.  Stock up on lots of lean protein, but also a few high fat protein indulgences .. Like good cheese, nuts, pre-cooked bacon strips

3.  Make a list of things to do besides eat .. Take a bath, knit, read, surf OH, walk,etc.

4.  I expect the first 4 days to be hard ... And I plan to take a nice long bath with some herbal tea .. And a good book or a mindless magazine .. And go to bed early those night.

Once I can get 3 or 4 clean days behind me, it gets MUCHeasier and I can back off the higher fat indulgences 

Lyou can turn this around ..... I wish you strength and success!!!

Kath

kathkeb
on 3/23/14 2:25 pm

When I need to detox from carbs, I do a few things.

1.  Clean the kitchen and toss them out

2.  Stock up on lots of lean protein, but also a few high fat protein indulgences .. Like good cheese, nuts, pre-cooked bacon strips

3.  Make a list of things to do besides eat .. Take a bath, knit, read, surf OH, walk,etc.

4.  I expect the first 4 days to be hard ... And I plan to take a nice long bath with some herbal tea .. And a good book or a mindless magazine .. And go to bed early those night.

Once I can get 3 or 4 clean days behind me, it gets MUCHeasier and I can back off the higher fat indulgences 

Lyou can turn this around ..... I wish you strength and success!!!

Kath

Amy R.
on 3/23/14 1:58 pm

First of all, you can do this.  We can do hard things.  Don't let discouragement get the best of you - you can do anything you set your mind to.

Second, we literally just had a thread about this very same thing started by someone else who is 10 years out.  Here it is:http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/5247826/Wt-gain-after -gastric-bypass/

Maybe it will help some.   Good luck=)

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/23/14 8:53 pm

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/backontracktogether/discussion/

It is back on track together group. We have some active people but even reading wehast other do and eat can be helpful. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

superjet
on 3/24/14 5:05 am - Van Nuys, CA

I have not been taking supplements for years!  My surgeon is in San Diego and I now live in Oregon so no check ups with him, but because I am diabetic my PCP would do a CBC on me every 6 months.  I did develop anemia last year and have frequent bouts of hypoglycemia.  Other than that my doc says I am very healthy!!??  What supplements do you guys take--maybe I should try that again?

Sabra B.

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/24/14 5:28 am

I boy, ... Most PCP do not know what labs we need.  They may run basic labs that may indicate that things are OK. 

There is a very complete list of labs, ad some very basics that we need every year even if the previous year the labs were good.

Complete CBC

complete iron panel

TSH

B1, B12, B6, folic acid

Calcium and PTH (just calcium without PTH is not enough to know if we get enough calcium)

D3

Vit A

just to name a few that are super critical. The rest are important but these one off balance may cause serious, and in many cases permanent side effects.

Here is a more complete tests list:

Anemia Panel
Iron
Ferratin
B12
Folate
TIBC
Iron, % saturation
Iron, binding capacity
PROTEIN RELATED
TP Total Protein
Albumin (ALB)
Pre-Albumin
CALCIUM-RELATED
PTH, intact
Calcium
Vitamin D-25 Hydroxy
Osteocalcin, Serum
VITAMINS/MINERALS
Copper
Magnesium
Zinc
Selenium

Vitamin A

Vitamin B1 (whole blood)
Vitamin B1 (plasma)
Vitamin B6
Vitamin B12
Homocys ine, Plasma

Vitamin E

Prothombine time (PT)
Prothombine (INR)
PTT, Activated
Vitamin K1
LIPID PANEL
Triglycerides
Cholesterol, total
HDL cholesterol
LDL cholesterol
Chol/HDLC ratio
COMP METABOLIC PANEL
Glucose (GLU f)
Urea Nitrogen (B/Ci))
Creatinine
BUN
Sodium (Na f)
Potassium (K f)
Chloride (CL f)
Carbon Dioxide (CO2 f)
Uric Acid, Serum
Phosphorus
Bilirubin, total (T.Bili f)
ALKP
AST
ALT
CBC
White blood cell (WBC)
Red blood cell (RBC)
Hemoglobin (HGB)
Hematocrit (HCT)
MCV
MCH
MCHC
RDW
Platelet count (PLT)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

siberiancat
on 3/24/14 3:47 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

You have been given good advice.  Click on the link in above post to read more suggestions.

My concern is: are you having annual visits to your bariatric surgeon, are you getting annual labs to determine nutritional status and are you taking your supplements?

You are far enough post op that permanent damage can be caused from deficiencies if you aren't getting bariatric labs done and adjusting supplements accordingly.

I weigh myself daily as soon as I get up and go to the bathroom.  That way I know if a pattern of gaining is happening.  I don't wait until I can't zip my pants.

For me it helps to journal my food intake and count calories, grams carbs, grams protein and ounces of fluid for a couple months every year.  It helps me be accountable and I see where I'm slowly allowing "calorie dense - nutrition poor" foods into my diet.  Reading nutrition labels and writing down the food and adding totals is a REAL experience that I can't rationalize away.  That is what works for me.  Protein 1st every meal or snack, then veggies & fruit then other carbs - but my pouch gets full quickly.  I stay away from white (flour/sugar), pasta, potatoes, cakes, cookies, crackers, bread, junk food and fast food.

WW wouldn't work for me.  I would eat packaged, processed food (like their ice cream/desserts, boxed junk or frozen meals) and be "legal" in their point system - but lacking the nutrition by body needs to fuel my brain, heart, lungs, liver, blood supply, etc.

Another surgery is not the answer.  The answer is to change your thoughts and your behavior.  Seek counseling/therapy - it really helps.

Best wishes, Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

ididabadbadthing
on 3/24/14 5:49 am - TN

Hi Superjet,

It's nice to meet you. I too have returned due to some stress weight gain. I too am in my 10th year.  I joined a group called Back On Track and there is a plan posted there I am going to try. I need to get the sugar/carbs out of my system.  I don't dump with sugar products but still do with oil/greasy stuff.  Stay in touch and maybe we can help each other.

Here is the plan....

*No alcohol

*No artificial sweetener

*Only water, tea, and coffee.  You can have low fat creamer. You can flavor water with lemon.

*Veggies include: broccoli, peppers, spinach, tomatoes, zucchini and yellow squash.

Breakfast Picks:

-1/2  cup egg beaters with 1 cup veggies

- ½ cup skim milk/1 cup ice/ ½ cup berries mixed into a smoothie (berries can be strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, or mixed)

-½ cup oatmeal, 1tbs slivered almonds/1 banana

Snacks (2 a day)

-1 cup lowfat yogurt

-14 almonds

-2 rice cakes with 1tbs of peanut butter

-1 piece of turkey rolled in lettuce with mustard

-string cheese (low fat)

Lunch

-2 cups lettuce/ 4 oz of lean meat/ 1 cup of veggies tossed with vinaigrette

-whole wheat wrap with lettuce, mustard, and 4 oz of lean meat

Dinner

-6 oz of any lean meat 

You can use salmon, beef, pork, or chicken as long as it is lean.
You have to have protein and the veggies

-2 cups of steamed veggies

Good Luck!

superjet
on 3/25/14 4:44 am - Van Nuys, CA

Thanks you for you inspiration and for the food plan ididabadbadthing! I would love to this along side you and hopeful when I am weak you'll be my strength and I your strength when you are weak.

Sabra B.

ididabadbadthing
on 3/25/14 6:08 am - TN

YOU BET!  PM me any time if you don't want to talk on the forums.  

Most Active