Surgery got switched from Sleeve the RNY

Castine1234
on 3/23/14 11:13 pm
RNY on 05/06/14

Amy, for whatever reason I can't get it through my head that sweets cause dumping not carbs!  Just a senior moment!  I realize WLS is a tool not a solution and I have to do my part to be successful.  I only am acquainted with one person who has had RNY, she has done well.  The sleeve is relatively new.  I had decided on the sleeve because of the source of a hunger hormone being removed but once my nutritionist looked at my food journal and said I wouldn't be happy with the sleeve because of my eating habits, I rethought my decision.  I am going to Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville for my surgery so I don't think money is an issue.

Amy R.
on 3/24/14 2:03 am

Totally get the "senior moment"!  I just turned 50 and I have plenty of those=)

One more caveat on the removal of the hunger-inducing hormone ghrelin.  I had a very specialized surgery, resulting in over 85% of my stomach being removed. (due to severe non-healing healing ulcers and scarring closing my pyloric channel completely.)  I have a tinier stomach than many DSr's - but I didn't get to keep my pyloric valve. My intestines were then fashioned into they "Y" formation.  So I have no ghrelin produced either. 

While in theory, getting rid of that hormone is great, in real life I didn't get to 347lbs by eating when I was "hungry".  I ate all the time, hungry or not.

Good luck, whatever you decide I'm sure you'll do great=)

Castine1234
on 3/24/14 2:56 am
RNY on 05/06/14

Sometimes wonder what it feels like to be hungry!  I eat all the time also.  Wow!  That sounds like quite the operation!  Was that before RNY Or included with it?  Thanks for sharing!  

Amy R.
on 3/24/14 8:30 am

It was all one surgery.  That's why I don't have a "true" RnY.  No blind stomach (thank you God) and a slight intestinal anomaly as well as my "pouch" being made out of a different section of stomach. 

They also took out my gall bladder at the same time. And in one of the miracles of modern medicine, it was all done laproscopically (sp?). !!  I was amazed and SO glad to wake up and find out he didn't have to do an open surgery.

Castine1234
on 3/24/14 10:25 am
RNY on 05/06/14

Amy, it is a miracle!  In Maine, we have an older couple across the street, the lady was quite feeble and told me she needed to have a kidney out.  The first time I saw her after the surgery, she was sitting up and didn't look too well.  A week later, she was up and active, lots better than before the surgery and hers was done laposcipally! sp. amazing!  I had my gallbladder done that way, some pain but up and moving around within a couple of days but a kidney?  Never would have thought that possible. Can you imagine all you had done, a true miracle!

Kate -True Brit
on 3/23/14 8:59 pm - UK
On March 23, 2014 at 6:56 PM Pacific Time, Castine1234 wrote:

I eat and crave a lot of sugar and fat.  These are cravings the sleeve won't solve but with RNY, according to my nut, my tastes will change.  Plus if I eat carbs I will get dumping syndrome.  I also didn't like the fact that if you needed to have a RNY after the sleeve that you couldn't.  Also, like the RNY is reversible if you have too many problems.

Don't rely on dumping to stop you eating sweet things. Only about 40% of bypassed people dump, in fact some quote 30%. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

MsBatt
on 3/25/14 5:30 am
On March 23, 2014 at 6:56 PM Pacific Time, Castine1234 wrote:

I eat and crave a lot of sugar and fat.  These are cravings the sleeve won't solve but with RNY, according to my nut, my tastes will change.  Plus if I eat carbs I will get dumping syndrome.  I also didn't like the fact that if you needed to have a RNY after the sleeve that you couldn't.  Also, like the RNY is reversible if you have too many problems.

Your tastes will *probably* change with any surgery on your digestive tract. No surgery will cure your cravings---that's all brain stuff, not stomach stuff. Only about 30% of people with the RNY dump, and for many of them, that goes away after a few months or years.

It's completely untrue that an RNY can't be done after a Sleeve---but it would be illogical. Should a Sleeve fail to produce the desired results, the logical revision would be to the DS, the most effective form of WLS currently performed. (The DS has a Sleeved stomach plus an intestinal bypass similar to, but more effective than, that of the RNY.)

The RNY is reversible, but reversing an RNY is only done in two situations: 1)when the patient is being revised to either a Sleeve or a DS, or 2)when the patient is in a life-threatening situation.

You need to do more/better research before you make a decision that will affect the rest of your life.

huskergalWsD
on 3/23/14 12:33 pm

Knowing me I would wonder if the doctor was telling you to go with the Rny cause it payes him more. that's just my thoughts.

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

MMmom
on 3/23/14 3:00 pm

Just to start,both surgeries are wonderful and offer us all a great new lease on life.  I researched both surgeries decided on bypass and then switched two weeks before surgery. 

That said, please do some research beyond what your doctor has told you.  Some of what you've said  is true other not so true and the rest is a mix of both.  

1. Gerds..bypass has a greater chance of reducing Gerds.  That was one of my main reasons for choosing bypass.  My doctor however, saw a hernia on a scan and felt that fixing that would help.  It did.  No Gerds. But again that is experience.

2. Pill taking.  Please understand that with all bariatric surgeries you will be taking pills.  Band has the least and bypass has the greatest (not sure on DS since I did no research on DS).  You will be taking many, many vitamins multiple times a day to counteract the amount we do not get anymore due to our small capacity of foods.  With bypass, you will be taking many more in order to absorb enough due to the malabsorption.  Look on the RNY forum.  There are wonderful people who are very knowledgable on vitamins.

3. What reason did you doctor give you that makes you think that recovery is easier with bypass?  Both are major surgery and both have complications.  Don't just take his word.  Do some reasearch.  Know what the complications are for both and remember everyone is different.

4. Sweets and taste buds.  Decarbing helps with the physical cravings of sweets.  You should do that for all surgeries.  Head craving or head hunger is not fixed with any stomach surgery. What we put in our mouth is our choice.  If you are planning on "dumping" as a way to control your sweet tooth, beware, Only about 30% of patients actually dump.

I am not trying to talk you out of one surgery or for another.  I just want you to make your choice on facts and reasearch. Read the boards...all of them.  There are many vets on these boards that have great advice and knowledge.  Listen to them all.  

I wish you great success in which ever surgery you choose.

M&M

jubigirl
on 3/23/14 3:35 pm
VSG on 08/26/13

Strangely, only one of the 8+ people I know who are more than 5 years out of rny have all regained. A few are close to pr op weight. 

I had gerd pre op. I also had hiatal hernia repair during sleeve surgery. I have had ZERO probs since surgery. I'm well pleased. 

Regarding the no going back and revisions... Sleeve can go to DS if necessary. I pray I never need it because the malabsorption scares me. 

My my tastes have changed drastically since surgery. 

Good luck on whichever you choose.  I promise, it's mental.  If you are determined to succeed, you will. 

Kelli