Surgery got switched from Sleeve the RNY

Castine1234
on 3/24/14 10:18 am
RNY on 05/06/14

Everyone claims their tastes change after surgery, in what way has yours changed?  Maybe it will help me understand better.

jubigirl
on 3/25/14 1:25 am
VSG on 08/26/13

The biggest change is that I now HATE any and all fast food. YUCK!!! I was a junkie before. Now I crave real food. I've never been picky but now I actually want and desire healthy foods. I also don't have any cravings for bread AT ALL.  They don't feel good in the sleeve so it basically makes it unappetizing. I even bake my own bread for the family and don't even nibble. I now hate flavored drinks (crystal lite etc). I basically drink unsweetened  tea, water, green smoothie, and protein shake. My tastes in shakes also changed after surgery. 

Best wishes!

Castine1234
on 3/25/14 2:15 am
RNY on 05/06/14

What shakes have you tried?  Shopping for some now have a lot of samples but can't find one I like but no sugar instant breakfast.  I hope I love healthy food and not junk after surgery!  Sounds like you're doing great after the sleeve!  Will do more research.

A. Kondrlik
on 3/23/14 10:04 pm
VSG on 01/24/13

I have lost almost 90 percent of my EBW with the sleeve.  You may want to pose this question on the VSG board. Decide what is best for you and what makes you feel comfortable. But make sure you  have enough information to make your decision

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

MsBatt
on 3/24/14 2:27 am

It sounds to me like your surgeon prefers to do the RNY, and he's steering you in that direction because he's more comfortable with it. Remember, YOU are the one who'll have to live the rest of her life with this decision, so choose the surgery YOU want.

Strictures---well, the sort of stricture Sleevers get is different from the sort of strictures RNYers get, but it's been my experience reading here and on other WLS boards for the past ten+ years that RNYers get more of them.

Post-op lifestyle---again, I disagree with your surgeon. As a DSer, I have a Sleeved stomach and other than the facts that I'm not constantly hungry and that I get full on a small amount of food, it's no different from life with my pre-op stomach. No dumping, no strictures, no getting food stuck, no food intolerances, no slimeing, no barfing, no...difference, really. I can still take NSAIDs (VERY important!), drink with meals, just...eat normally.

No matter which form of WLS you choose, you'll need to take vitamins and mineral supplements forever, but you'll need fewer of them with the Sleeve.

KevinBacon
on 3/24/14 8:52 am
VSG on 03/10/14

I'm going to interject here and just say that regardless of either surgery you choose, weight gain will happen IF you don't change your lifestyle. I also battled with the numbers and all the different anecdotal advice I got here and from people in real life and this concept was really my turning point in decision making. 

You can and will gain weight back with RNY if you do not follow plan. 

You can and will gain weight back with VSG if you do not follow plan. 

That's it. There is no magic surgery. The benefit of RNY is that you lose faster because of the malabsorption, but generally the statistics show that they both have similar results in the end. 

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1366 views