Any vegetarians? Am I doomed? lol

dalaimama
on 3/23/14 9:37 am

It sounds like high protein is kind of the way of life after these surgeries. I know I probably don't get enough as it is now. Is it possible to continue to be vegetarian? I mean..okay it's probably possible but how doable is it really?

Thanks for any input! :)

~Cheryl

poet_kelly
on 3/23/14 10:35 am - OH

It's been very doable for me.  I haven't eaten meat in, I don't know, almost 28 years now.  I do eat eggs occasionally (local free range eggs) and I eat dairy products although I've been trying to cut back on those.  I get about 80 to 90 grams of protein most days and it's not difficult at all for me.

It was challenging in the beginning when I could only eat very small amounts.  I needed to rely heavily on protein shakes the first six months or so.  Now I still use them sometimes, but mostly because I enjoy having one for breakfast, not so much because I need them.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dalaimama
on 3/23/14 10:52 am

Ooh that's great to know!! Thanks :) I've been veggie for about 15 years and I really wasn't wanting to go off the wagon if I didn't have to lol I haven't been tracking, I just don't think I'm getting enough..but maybe I should start keeping track, maybe I'm getting more than I think. We still eat eggs and dairy which will help I think..

Again, thanks for the input!

poet_kelly
on 3/23/14 10:56 am - OH

Well, an egg has about 6 grams, a slice of cheese has about six grams (depends on what kind cheese and how big a slice, of course), a cup of skim milk has about 8 grams, a cup of Greek yogurt has as much as 28 grams, a cup of cottage cheese also has as much as 28 grams (varies some from brand to brand), and a cup of beans has about 12 or 14 grams (depends on what kind of beans).  If you track for a few days, you may find you get more than you think.  Starchy carbs like bread and crackers and potato chips don't have much, but those aren't things you should be eating a lot of after WLS anyway.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Multi-vitamin once a day
Roselane · 14 replies · 286 views
Reintroducing food
Romanceauthor · 6 replies · 535 views
a word of caution
dreamer1234 · 0 replies · 5 views
Recent Topics