Obese Texas Girl Who Had Tumor Has Gastric Bypass Surgery

huskergalWsD
on 3/24/14 1:29 am

Featured

Obese Texas girl who had tumor has surgery in Ohio

Associated Press     Content preferences

Done  

CINCINNATI (AP) — A 12-year-old girl with a rare case of medically induced obesity that pushed her weight past 200 pounds is recovering after weight-loss surgery.

Alexis Shapiro, from Cibolo, Texas, was sedated and on a ventilator late Friday after undergoing weight-loss surgery at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center, NBC News reported. A message left by The Associated Press at the hospital Saturday seeking an update on her condition wasn't immediately returned.

The 4-foot-7-inch girl was stable and comfortable after the surgery but expected to remain in the intensive care unit at least through the weekend, Dr. Thomas Inge said Friday. Doctors expect Alexis to lose weight and resolve many health problems, such as type 2 diabetes and pulmonary issues.

The condition arose two years ago after brain surgery to remove a tumor damaged her pituitary gland and part of the brain that signals hunger, WCPO-TV in Cincinnati reported. The condition called hypothalamic obesity also inhibits Alexis' ability to produce adrenaline, limiting her energy so she can't burn off the extra calories, the station reported.

Doctors had planned to perform a gastric bypass operation and procedure to cut part of her vagus nerve, but they had to change their plan because her liver was bigger and fattier than anticipated. They switched to a sleeve gastrectomy to remove up to 80 percent of her stomach.

Inge said the change of plans wasn't a medical complication but rather a clinical decision.

Shapiro's mother, Jenny Shapiro, told NBC News in an email Friday that she and her husband, Ian Shapiro, are fine with the change.

"And it was what's best for her," she wrote.

Inge said doctors will wait to see how Alexis responds to the surgery before deciding whether to go ahead with the gastric bypass and vagus nerve operations.

"I think she will have a new normal," Inge said. "The new normal for her will be at a healthier weight perhaps with less damaging conditions."

Shapiro was expected to remain hospitalized for about a week and could return to Texas in two weeks, NBC News reported.

I wish her well..

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 3/24/14 1:50 am
VSG on 12/06/12

She actually had the sleeve. They could not do bypass due to her liver being too fatty.

huskergalWsD
on 3/24/14 2:48 am

OK, maybe later after her liver shrinks some.she will have the full Gastric Bypass

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)

(deactivated member)
on 3/25/14 4:29 pm - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13

Umm, NO.  You don't revise from sleeve to gastric bypass.  You revise from sleeve to DS.

Hislady
on 3/24/14 3:59 am - Vancouver, WA

I just hope she AND her parents understand that she will still have to diet and exerecise to make this work. It seems like a next surgery should be to a DS tho since she is already 1/2 way there and the DS would make more sense. It will be interesting to see how this all works out.

huskergalWsD
on 3/24/14 4:28 am

Am I reading this right? that she will have her nerves cut out also that controls the hunger? if I am , I don't think that is a good idea, for when she gets older..

Cunning_Pam
on 3/24/14 4:48 am
RNY on 12/18/13

Her brain, the part that controls metabolism and hunger, has been permanently damaged. I'm pretty sure that an intact vagus nerve is not necessary for health, however stopping her hunger seems pretty necessary for her to even GET older at this point.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/24/14 5:30 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I'm willing to bet that this was a BIG decision made by lots of doctors, including oncologists, pediatricians, and bariatric surgeons. I guarantee that these experts thought of that in advance.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active