Hypothyroidism and WLS

Scuppers
on 3/24/14 8:57 am

Hi there,

Can anyone comment on this topic? I am curious to know if this medical condition poses any issues with having surgery.  

Thanks.

Referral-2/25/14 

diane48
on 3/24/14 12:04 pm
RNY on 05/07/13

Not really.  I had a hard time regulating the dosage for a while but now it's fine.  I found that I cannot take the medication with any of the supplements so I take it at bedtime by itself.  I had tried to take it about  a half an hour before I took the supplements in the morning but my labs showed that it wasn't being absorbed at all.  Other people haven't had any problems with this though. 

Chelle40D
on 3/24/14 12:09 pm
VSG on 03/18/14

I was just sleeved last week and synthroid is the only med I take (150mcg).  There was no mention of it being a problem and no change to my dose, so I think it's good. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/24/14 1:11 pm - OH

No, it isn't an issue at all;  many people who have WLS are hypothyroid.  Synthroid normally absorbs just fine after surgery, but some people find that they need a lower dose when they get to a lower weight.  I lost 190 pounds, though, and didn't change my dose.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

QoftheU
on 3/24/14 3:18 pm - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13

Lora - Just a kudos comment.  When I read that you lost 190 pounds I am flabbergasted.  You and Grim Traveler are MAJOR inspirations to me.  If you can do it with that much to lose, and I'm a measly lightweight, I can do it too.  Thanks for inspiring me and staying on these boards long after you could have left.

OH is my support group.  Why?  Cuz I got an email today telling me "not to miss Wednesdays support group meeting and to wear exercise clothes because we'll be doing Zumba."

I don't think so.  Nope.  Nada.  No Way.  Ain't got the knees and exercise sucks.  (My opinion)

No haters please.  

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/25/14 7:50 am - OH

Thanks for the kind words.

Yeah, even with new knees, you will NEVER find me in a Zumba class!

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

PetHairMagnet
on 3/24/14 11:58 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

I lost over 100 lbs before my dosage was adjusted and even then, a very small adjustment. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Day_dream_believer
on 3/25/14 7:37 am

Make sure you have you levels tested frequently the first year.  Shortly after surgery my dose was lowered then at 6 months it was retested.  my TSH was 24.  It was raised back up and has taken me almost 3 years since surgery to have it stabilized.  It did not keep me from reaching goal.  My weight loss was slower than most, but there is no guarantee it was because of my thyroid. 

Scuppers
on 3/26/14 1:05 pm

Thanks!

Referral-2/25/14 

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1439 views