chronic nausea after surgery

hippiechik64
on 3/24/14 9:21 pm

Hello. Hopefully I can get some good advice here. I'm 5 years out from gastric bypass and have been plagued with ulcers, stomach pain and nausea ever since. I lost over 200 pounds and I wouldn't change it for the world. But these constant recurring bouts of extreme nausea leave me weak and discouraged. I'm 5'10" and currently weigh 187 but im still losing weight and really dont want too. Anyone else with this problem? Im desperate for any advice. Ive kept food journals, been bounced between my surgeon and primary care physician, changed my entire diet...all to no avail. Help! Im currently looking for a second opinion from doctors in columbia mo but am willing to travel to KC or St Louis area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Gwen M.
on 3/25/14 3:27 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Perhaps a GI doctor?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Cathy W.
on 3/25/14 7:27 am

Have you discussed this with your bariatric surgeon?  What does he say about the issues you're having this far out post-operatively?

Have you been scoped to make sure that there aren't mechanical issues with your WLS? 

You might also post this on the RNY message board too so more members that have had RNY can reply with their feedback.

Take care!  Cathy

hippiechik64
on 3/25/14 8:36 pm

Thanks for answering Cathy. I have been scoped out a few times, from both ends! They usually find something...esophageal infection, ulcers several times....but this debilitating nausea persists. And it seems to be getting worse which has me concerned and on here. I will mention the mechanical issue to my doctor. I know I can figure this out. Laying down seems to be the only way for true relief so I know something's up. I'm discouraged. But not giving up!

MyLady Heidi
on 3/26/14 12:13 am

Chronic nausea is usually a sign of dehydration, which I am very familiar with.  I get queasy very frequently and just went through a week of severe nausea after recovering from the stomach flu and being very dehydrated.  You can't eat when you are queasy like this and even drinking is hard.  But you must.  I drink wea**** tea with lemon every day and it really does help once you are properly hydrated.  Lots of food makes me queasy, but once I hydrate it passes.

It sucks, I know but I would try super hydrating yourself and see if that helps.  Good Luck.

Valerie G.
on 3/29/14 11:39 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm with Heidi on the thought of dehydration.  It comes on fast and causes the nausea, which in turn makes you disinterested in drinking....a vicious circle.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes