5 Things I Miss About Weighing More Than 300 Pounds

PetHairMagnet
on 3/24/14 11:39 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

Have you seen this? Blog entry from Mind Body Green

I am surprised by some of the things she is struggling with/challenged by this far out. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Cunning_Pam
on 3/25/14 12:31 am
RNY on 12/18/13

I'm not sure I'd agree that she's "struggling" with the things she mentions. I took it more as musings about how differently she relates to herself, others and the world now that she's thinner. To be honest, although I'm not at a normal BMI yet, I can certainly understand the things she talks about and even relate to some of them a bit. I also find it refreshing to see someone who is apparently without any self-condemnation for herself in her previous form. It's nice to see a slightly positive spin on "that overweight person" someone used to be, frankly. Too often I see people talking almost contemptuously about their former selves after they lose weight. It's sad, I think.

Also, I think her description about how having been overweight had made her more empathetic is important. Personally, I don't ever want to forget how it felt to be "judged, undervalued, demonized, mocked, feared, despised, and avoided", because I never want to treat another human being that way just because of their weight. Some of us forget that, I think.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

56sunShine14
on 3/25/14 2:20 am

I agree with Cunning_Pam about this.  And it is refreshing to read what most of us must feel from time to time.  For myself, I am not sure I would have become the person I am today had I never been fat/obese.  I might have been a truly mean, ugly person inside, one of those who look at people like us as if we are the scourge of the earth.

I have been made to feel many different things, being over 300 lbs, not many of them were positive.  And altho I learned how to wear a thick skin, even a dull knife will cut at some point. I cannot wait to lose it and begin a "normal" size life.

(deactivated member)
on 3/25/14 3:23 am
Gwen M.
on 3/25/14 3:28 am
VSG on 03/13/14

That was my take on it as well.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/25/14 1:22 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I love the phrase "drinking like a blues guitarist."

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/25/14 2:17 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

it sounds like musings to me too and I can definitely identify with what she says. I remember one of the times when I was smaller i would sit at the 2 seater on the train knowing noone else would sit next to me until someone else did and she wasn't a skinny mini or a kid and in my head I was like hey don't you see my larger than life butt sitting in this seat, how can you not see me?, then it dawned on me hey I'm not that big and we both fit, comfortably at that. I'm bigger now but I do get where she's coming from.

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/25/14 3:54 am

I probably can related to all but number #4.  

Fat or skinny - people I call friends - specially long time friends - don't care if I was fat or thin. My attitude was always the same..  And I was going back and forth between fat and fit to thin looking and anything in between in the last 30 years of my life..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/25/14 6:10 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I loved this blog post.  I have to follow her now. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Cathy W.
on 3/25/14 7:22 am

I liked her honesty and the positive perspective she writes about before weight loss.  She had refreshing insights on weighing 300 pounds and now having lost weight.

Good for her!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1506 views