Autoimmune disease (Wegener granulomatosis)

kat1004
on 3/26/14 10:41 pm

Hello, I'm new to this and I have a lot of questions. I have Wegener granulomatosis, which is a rare autoimmune disease. I am just looking to see if anyone out there has WG or an autoimmune disease that has had weight loss surgery?? More specific gastric bypass?? I would like to know the pros and cons. My surgeon told me that having a gastric bypass can cut down on my inflammation by 80%. Thanks so much!!

MsBatt
on 3/27/14 1:29 am

I don't know anything about your particular condition, but I have a couple of autoimmune diseases, and had them prior to my DS (duodenal switch) over ten years ago. They haven't gotten significantly better, but they haven't gotten any worse, either.

One thing you need to think about re the RNY/gastric bypass is that once you have it, you'll need to stay away from NSAIDs---the most commonly used anti-inflammatories. (You'll be surprised when you find out how many things contain NSAIDs!) One of the many, many reasons i chose the DS over the RNY was because it would allow me to still take NSAIDs.

kat1004
on 3/27/14 3:29 am

What's the difference between the DS and gastric bypass?? Thanks for responding!!

Dotti Alicea
on 3/27/14 2:13 am - Southbridge

Don't have your exact disease but I do have Lupus. And I'm in the process of getting WLS. I've asked a lot of people with Lupus if they flared or it made them worse and they all said "NO"!! :)

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1379 views