Liquid diet...less atrocious than I thought!

christinamudd
on 3/27/14 6:33 am

So my doctor put me on a three week pre-op liquid diet.  I had 3 out of 4 protein shakes the first day (yesterday).  I don't sleep a lot (by choice) so around midnight I was REALLY hungry.  But I decided to fight through it and go to bed.  I woke up STARVING.  I had a fruit smoothie and it helped but I was still hungry.  But I am steadfast that I will not cheat!  This is very important and the Dr. told me I have a greater chance of an open surgery because of my open gallbladder removal.    Got some creamy soup for lunch today and now I feel great,!  I thought I was going to be miserable the whole time on this diet and I was beginning to think I couldn't do it!

One question, does the liquid diet get even easier as you go?  Or is it hard throughout ?

momjan
on 3/27/14 11:17 am - Canada

Get easier!!!

Gwen M.
on 3/27/14 1:33 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

For me it got easier up until a point and then I hit this wall of "OMG I'M SO SICK OF LIQUIDS."  It wasn't that I craved other food, or carbs, I just wanted to be done with liquids and have stuff in my mouth to chew again.  I hit liquid fatigue around the three week mark.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 3/27/14 7:57 pm, edited 3/27/14 8:02 pm

Hi Christina,
To lose weight, drink more water than routine and try our weight loss program which is formulated by physicians to lose weight and increase health.

(deactivated member)
on 3/27/14 7:58 pm
ruby8157
on 3/28/14 2:09 am

I start my 2 week liquid diet on April 14 - already fearing how I will survive. I've got to keep food in the house for my husband and son so worried it may really be difficult! I have been waiting and dreaming about this surgery for 6 months so I plan on putting up pictures from clothing catalogs of my dream wardrobe, and also pictures of places I want to travel to for inspiration!

J_Bell1968
on 3/28/14 5:37 am

I am on day 4, it is very doable.  I have cooked for my family every night this week and been ok.  I am also having some creamed soup and it is holding me over, lots of water and shakes. I am actually staying full. I have always had a "grazing " problem.  As I said, I am doing good.

If you get hungry drink water or a shake. I have found a lot of emotional support on this board.. don't give  up. You can do it.

marymo362
on 3/28/14 11:37 am
RNY on 03/18/14

I found that the 3rd day was teh hardest but after that things continued to get easier and easier! I am on day 28 (that includes pre-surgery and now post-surgery) and had my first dream about a scrambled egg white.....  not too bad!

H/W: 312 S/W: 280 C/W: 196 Surgery date: 3/18/2014

christinamudd
on 3/28/14 11:57 am

Thank you very much everyone!  I think that the 3rd day so far hasn't been awful.  im kind of used to it.  Thank you very much for all the feedback! I was worried because I have a 7 year old girl who LOVES snacks and a household full of people who eat regularly but I've been really dedicated.