Do you know of anyone who has switched the type of surgery?

cowpatty1
on 3/29/14 9:45 am

Hello!  I have been approved and am scheduled to have Gastric Sleeve May 21st

HOWEVER, I have seriously been thinking of having RNY instead.  I weight 303 lbs and am 5'1".  I've always been afraid of the RNY b/c of all the vitamins, possible anemia, etc...

Now, the more I read, the more I'm thinking about it.  So now what? 

Is it easy to change the "type" of surgery you have, with the insurance company or will I have to go through the approval process again?  Also, are the pre-op tests any different?  I've already had my Upper GI, Pulmonary tests, chest xray, and am scheduled for cardiac clearance. 

Thank you for any and all responses!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/29/14 9:57 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Hi, I'm not sure how easy it is to change the type of surgery you want because the rny might have different requirements to have it, you should definitely talk with your surgeon just to be sure, it's only a matter of putting in a different code for approval, if there's a surgical coordinator you should speak with them since they will know what the ins people want. I know for me I changed my mind from the lap band to the sleeve and I just had to have 1 additional test (endoscopy), fill out a form indicating I know the risks with a sleeve & get a booklet from the nutritionist as to what I'll be eating pre and post op.

(deactivated member)
on 3/29/14 10:09 am - Smiths Station, AL

Thank you so much for the information :)

I will definitely check on that Monday morning. 

I just don't want my surgery to be delayed. Lol

Valerie G.
on 3/29/14 11:30 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It's usually not a big deal.  Just call them and ask what's required.  There will probably need to be an official approval for your new procedure, but you shouldn't have to jump through all of the hoops again.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Kdiva
on 3/29/14 1:17 pm, edited 3/29/14 1:22 pm - Margate, FL

Actually I just went through the same situation.  I was approved for the Rny with a scheduled date of 3/5/14 which I had rescheduled for 3/26/14. I decided that the DS was better for me. My insurance told me that they would have to change the procedure codes with  a call from the surgeon's office personal.  However bcuz my surgeon that I was approved for don't perform the DS I had to have the new surgeon submit the paperwork again.I had a date of 3/18/14 but due to my paperwork being lost in the " fax space station somewhere unknown"  I'm still waiting.  It's been a hassle & I'm still awaiting approval but for me it's worth the delay. Don't let a day or more of processing prohibit you from getting the surgery that's right for you.

hipswishingvinegarball
on 3/29/14 6:06 pm

Not only did I change my surgery type at the last minute, but even my surgeon. I was scheduled for RNY, and learned about the DS in the 11th hour. 

It was easy, and all the pre-op testing and approval stuff just transferred. 

(deactivated member)
on 3/30/14 12:01 am - Smiths Station, AL

I thank you all so much for all of the wonderful replies! I love this board! Y'all are so wonderful and supportive!!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1424 views