Have you ever had a gallbladder attack without gallbladder?

ididabadbadthing
on 3/30/14 4:54 am - TN

I will be 10 years out this year from WLS and had my gallbladder removed about 12 years ago.  From time to time I have attacks (just like when I had a gallbladder), one so bad I went to the ER.  The only thing they note is my liver enzymes are sky high.  Have any of you had this happen?  Before I start getting all the scope stuff done I thought I would check with everyone here first.

Thanks

baepage
on 3/30/14 9:05 am - MA
RNY on 04/22/13

I had my gallbladder removed 20 years ago.  I still to this day get the same painful cramps.  I feel like my intestines are being ripped apart.  I have been to my doctor, and they can't find anything wrong.  I guess I have to live with it.  I noticed that red wine will make the pain come on, so no red wine for me.

Good luck, hope they can give you something.

Barbara

momjan
on 3/30/14 1:42 pm - Canada

Raw garlic affected me for years after gallbladder removal.  It doesn't anymore.

jazzycatz
on 3/31/14 12:01 am - Joppa, MD

Yes ma'am. I had my gallbladder out a few years prior to my WLS. I starting having attacks last year. Same thing, went to the ER and my liver numbers where high. They actually kept me for 4 days until my numbers started to fall. :-(

The problem is my pancreas. Apparently you can still get stones there. No one mentioned that before. They were able to tell from a dry CAT scan.

Did they ask you about alcohol consumption? They kept asking me because one of the leading causes of pancreatitis is drinking a lot of alcohol. I am not sure they ever believed me when I told them I don't drink anymore.  

If the stones are caught in the duct they will go in after them. For me, they come and I pass them much like kidney stones. It's not bad enough to require surgurical intervention.

Check out this link from Web MD.

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/digestive-diseases- pancreatitis

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 3/31/14 12:14 pm

If your doctor has established there were no stones left in the duct (they CAN miss stones there when gallbladder is removed) then it may just be "ghost pains". 

I had no gallbladder pains until after it was removed, and my surgeon said that nerves that get cut during surgery to remove it can leave some patients with what he calls ghost pains or ghost gallbladder. 

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1507 views