Emotional and depressed

picgurl
on 3/30/14 1:47 pm

I am 3 1/2 weeks post op andI  am emotional and depressed. II had a total hysterectomy in 2003.  What could be wrong? 

Changing one pound at a time! 

kathkeb
on 3/30/14 2:33 pm

You don't say which surgery you had, but chances are, you had major surgery a few weeks ago.

You are losing weight, learning how to eat all over again, and experiencing hormonal changes.  You SHOULD be emotional.

Do you have a local support group you can rely on?

If not,and your depression is severe, you should consult your doctor.

If it is just moodiness and 'buyers remorse', it is quite normal at this stage.

Kath

KevinBacon
on 3/30/14 2:35 pm
VSG on 03/10/14

I'm sorry :( 

I'm sure other people will have a lot more insight but I just wanted to send you hugs and tell you that someday it will be behind you and just a memory. I hope you have a support group for your surgery because it is such an emotionally charged experience. Hugs hugs hugs!

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

Grim_Traveller
on 3/30/14 10:55 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I suffered from depression for a long time, and a lot of other obese people do as well. Plus, as others pointed out, you had major surgery. That's a really big deal. And as you are losing weight your body is dumping tons of hormones that are stored in fat. So this is really normal. Not that any of that really helps, I know. You can always talk to us, but if you need to, don't be afraid to see a therapist.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 3/30/14 10:58 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

I just wanted to add that estrogen is stored in fat so as we go into fat burning mode after surgery tons of excess estrogen is released in our bodies. This can cause all kinds of crazy hormone stuff such as depression. Please talk to your doctor if it is really bad.

michael "I didn't do
it!" w

on 3/31/14 2:26 am - Festus, MO
VSG on 12/18/13

Nothing is wrong.  You are normal, don't worry.  I've heard it called hormone dumping, and between all of the trauma you're body has been through and the rapid weight loss it happens.  It's part mental, but there is a very real physical component too.  Many of us go through it, regardless of surgery.  I definitely did.  

Just take deep breaths, try to relax, know you're going to be more emotional and reactionary for awhile and let it help guide your choices.  You're doing fine. 

HW: 495  Consult: 390  SW: 361 CW: 289

April is Autism Awareness Month!

miss_muffet
on 3/31/14 11:43 am - WA
VSG on 12/31/13

I'm sorry to hear you're going through a rough patch. Most likely it will just past. 

I had some depressed days the first month after surgery and then again about 8 to 9 weeks out. It could be a number of things triggering those feelings but try not to place too much importance on the feelings. Focus on sticking to your plan and be very gentle with yourself. Emotional issues seem to fairly common following WLS. You have just made a HUGE change in your life. 

If you don't feel better in a day or two or if things get worse, talk to a support person at your surgeon's clinic. Make an appointment to go in or ask for a referral to a therapist. 

Best wishes.

H 5' 4" | A 49+ | HW 250 | SW 226 | CW 171

Goal 140 / Fantasy Goal 128

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1390 views