awaiting insurance autherization and have alot of mixed feelings

cross_89
on 3/31/14 10:27 am

HELLO EVERYONE SO IM NEW TO THIS SITE. I WILL BE HAVING GASTRIC BYPASS AT STANFORD HOSPITAL IN PALO ALTO. I am very scared. 5his will be my first surgery amd to hear all the what could go wrong and eveything I am very scared. I have researched my surgeon and his has 0 mortalitys and very low complications rates. He is the chief of surgery at stanford for bariatric surgery. I suffer from alot of anxiety issuses and im very fearful. So the anxiety of getting autherized from my medical is killing me and the fear of surgery scares me. Of being put under and possibly not waking up. I have no diabites or heart issues. I believe I have sleep apnea but never diagnosed. Idk just very nervous. 

Anyone here have uhc or affinity insurance. My surgeon just sent for autherization today. Just mot sure what theyre gonna say. Any info will help thanks everyone

chevtow41
on 4/1/14 12:07 am
DS on 11/11/14

I'd say most people are very nervous beforehand. I haven't yet had WLS but I have had a great deal of other surgeries and no matter what they were I always wondered if I could live with the problem instead, and will I wake back up? I'm still here :)  Stanford is no little hick town operation, I'd say you'll be in good hands. Stay positive and think of how much healthier you will be after the weight is gone.

I have UHC and WLS is covered but each policy is different, I guess it depends on what you or your employer purchased.

cross_89
on 4/1/14 1:06 am

Thank you so much for your reply. Um as far as I know I should be covered because I meet uhc guidelines. But affinity will be the one to autherize surgery. My surgeon just submitted for autherization yesterday so now we just wait lol. Thanks for positive works. Im sure it will all go fine my heart is healthy the doctors say and im very young so I should be fine

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 4/1/14 1:34 am
VSG on 12/06/12

So out of curiousty they never did a sleep study on you? That is standard here in NY. I have sleep apnea and they have oxygen on you the whole surgery so that is not a factor. I was hoping that would help you a little.

cross_89
on 4/1/14 2:30 am

Im not sure my surgeon did not list that as a task to do before surgery

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 4/1/14 3:27 am
VSG on 12/06/12

Ok I thought it was standard. The reason being it is a comorbidity that can help with approval. Why do you think you have sleep apnea? Again though with the oxygen on the whole surgery it would not effect anything. My maching never came out until I was in the room.

Most Active