Newbie, PCOS

sabs
on 4/3/14 10:04 am

Oh yeh let's just do this whole thing ONE time please!!  :)  

kaytiebugs
on 4/3/14 7:08 am - Flowery Branch, GA

I used to have pcos (symptom free for a very long time). I had lapband surgery but didn't address my issues with food. Before you have surgery, I urge you to please consider counseling or at least a group like Food Addicts Anonymous, Overeaters Anonymous, Celebrate Recovery or some other form of recovery. No surgery can help with that. BELIEVE ME. I am 5 years post op and yes I've lost weight but my battle with food is still very real. I'm just now joining a recovery program.

No matter what surgery you have, carbs will be the enemy when you have PCOS. After I had my surgery, I stopped losing. The only thing that helped me was exercising like crazy (P90X) and eating super healthy, very limited grains and low glycemic fruits. I lost 50 lbs, regained my fertility and have had two babies since then.

Having lapband didn't help me much at all, especially long term.

sabs
on 4/3/14 12:18 pm

Counseling is on my list as well :)

MAchick
on 4/5/14 2:13 am
VSG on 01/27/14

I'm about 9 weeks out after VSG and have had PCOS since I was a young teen (28 now). Weight gain,  acne,  crazy hair,  dark skin,  big and small ovarian cysts and LOTS of pain. 

So far I'm down about 54lbs and feel fabulous. My goal is to lose 100 so I'm well on my way. I know this is forever going to be a struggle, so I'm working on changing my habits now. I don't crave carbs usually unless i have a higher carb day. Especially around my period. I don't have much room after protein,  so that keeps me full. 

For BC, I switched to a Mirena IUD because it's hard to trust the pill after surgery. Also,  the pill can increase the risk of blood clots after surgery. 

I haven't seen much of a reduction in symptoms yet, but I'm waiting for my body to catch up with the weight loss!  I do feel lighter on my feet and have less aches and pain. 

sabs
on 4/5/14 3:24 am

Woohoo that's great news!!! I'm sure the symptoms will change with your weightloss so you're on a great start!!  

dancerchick06
on 4/8/14 5:34 am
RNY on 01/07/15

I am in the same exact boat.  I felt like I was reading my own story. :) I was diagnosed with PCOS but unlike you, I had to bring up WLS with my physician.  She said it was "an option" and wanted me to try different things first.  I know how you feel about the trying every diet and feeling miserably hungry.  I feel like I am never full until I am sick.  My PCOS has given me horrible symptoms and I have researched and found that those symptoms can dramatically reduce after weight loss surgery.  I am leaning toward Roux-en-Y surgery even though my physician suggested lap band. 

Now I am just trying to get my physician on board with my decision.  Hopefully she will okay it and work with me this month.

Good Luck!

sabs
on 4/8/14 10:55 am

Well I definitely think she wants it as a last-ditch thing...the doctor she referred me to does medical weight loss first, then surgery.  The only time I've lost weight is doing a medically-supervised diet but it was these nasty shakes and 800 calorie diet.  I barely got the shakes down (super picky eater here!) and didn't cheat much, so yeah, I lost weight!  Supposedly this bariatric doc doesn't do shakes, so we'll see...

And if there's anything I've learned from this is, you gotta find a doctor who listens to you!  Many doctors are still in the old school of thought (as is most of the world so far as I can tell) that all overweight people are overweight because they eat McDonald's all day long...

shotseyrudi
on 4/10/14 1:48 am - United Kingdom

I had vertical sleeve.  Best decision.  Can still eat everything, but only 2-3 tablespoons at a time.  Lost 55 lbs right away.  Weight just melts off!  Must exercise and eat protein and water as priorities.  Still have more to lose.  Recommend being  faithful to the diet. Take  advantage of the post-op period. The beginning is when you lose the most.  I was able to stop cholesterol and diabetic and blood pressure meds, immediately.

joanie r.

Most Active