Lap Band

marlarsw
on 4/3/14 3:11 am

I had my lap band surgery done on 1-24-11 and I have had tremendous results.  I have lost 90 pounds and have gone from a size 22 to a size 10.  The problem that i am having now is I started having horrendous acid reflux about six months ago.  I am on 40 mg of nexium once a day and 40 mg of prilosec once a day and the acid reflux has stopped but I am having a problem with coughing and throwing up clear or yellowish color mucus several nights a week.  I was wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem?  It seems as though the doctors can't find out the underlying problem so they automatically blame it on my lap band.  I have been on a forum online and lots of people have this problem that are all ages and that have never had weight loss surgery.  Can someone please help me find an answer to my delimma!

ladygodiva1228
on 4/3/14 5:13 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Have you contacted your surgeon or are you just going to a PCP?  What is your current fill level?  You might need to have an upper gi done to see if there is something going on. 

How are your sinuses?  Do you have allergies?  Maybe nasel discharge dripping down the back of your throat? 

I'm trying to brainstorm what might cause the clear/yellow mucus. 

marlarsw
on 4/3/14 9:25 am

Yes I have had an upper GI.  I actually went this afternoon and had a small amount removed in hopes that this will help.

Hislady
on 4/3/14 8:07 am, edited 4/4/14 3:49 am - Vancouver, WA

That is very common with the band and your surgeon should know what to do about it. Sounds like you are way too tight and need a partial unfill. it could also be a slip. I seriously urge you to not ignore this, it can cause serious damage. Over time scar tissue builds up between the stomach and the band causing you to be too tight and it only gets worse.

marlarsw
on 4/3/14 9:26 am

I actually went this afternoon and had a small amount of saline removed in hopes that this will help.

Hislady
on 4/4/14 3:55 am, edited 4/4/14 3:56 am - Vancouver, WA

Excellent that should help. Do be aware of this all the time because I eventually had to have mine completely emptied and it was good for a couple of years. Altho in Feb. I was so miserable with pain and inability to swallow that I finally had it removed all together. I may even end up having to pay for it myself because the insurance is denying it calling it bariatric surgery, even tho I could barely swallow and had so much pain they thought I was having a heart attack! Just stay aware when you start having anything out of the ordinary.

MsBatt
on 4/3/14 9:01 am

They're blaming it on your Band because this is something the Band frequently causes.

cheyenne000
on 4/3/14 9:39 am
VSG on 03/25/16

I agree with HisLady, you sound like your band is too tight. The only time I had reflux was when my band was too tight. When I would get a slight un fill of even .5 it would stop. Hope you get relief now that  you had some fluid removed 

Lapband - Jan 2009 weight goal reached with lapband. Revised to VSG- 1/25/16

marlarsw
on 4/3/14 9:57 am

I had .4 taken out today.  So I am hoping that this helps.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1282 views