can't decide between gastric and sleeve ..help

buckeyeern
on 4/3/14 12:30 am - sheperdsville, KY

I am so nervous about going forward.. and have read all literature . I don't know what to do. So. I'm hoping to hear from some of you about your positives ..and negatives .. please

Cathy W.
on 4/3/14 12:41 am

Have you met with a surgeon yet?  If not, when you meet with a surgeon you'll be able to discuss the procedures, co-morbid conditions and your medical history.  It is good that you've been reading information.

Check out the RNY and Sleeve forums to read posts from other members and to post this on those message boards.  You'll get lots of information and support there too.

I had RNY in 2001.  Back then, the Sleeve wasn't an option.  Today if I had surgery, I honestly don't know what I would choose.  Personally, I wish I'd been able to choose from the procedures that are mainstream today - RNY, DS, Sleeve (and Band). 

Keep researching and reading so you make the best decision for yourself. 

buckeyeern
on 4/3/14 12:55 am - sheperdsville, KY

I have only had the general introduction with 50 other people in class. I have all paperwork sent in and they will be calling me in a few days. I have to meet with the nurses and dieticians for (testing) and then Dr prior to surgery.. but am supposed to have my decision by then.  Just clueless.. they both seem very similar.

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 4/3/14 1:00 am
VSG on 12/06/12

They could not be anymore opposite. The rny reroutes your intestines and leaves what is called a blind stomach. You will also no longer have use of your polyoric valve. Roughly 30% of people who have this get dumping syndrome. You will also not absorb all of the nutrients from your food and the calories. You will lose the calorie malapsorbtion after about 2 to 3 years. You will have the nutrient malabsorption for life. You can not be scoped or take NSAIDS. It has been found to be useful for people with Diabetes. The sleeve is just a reduction in the size of your stomach by roughly 85%. You will absorb everything you eat. It has been shown to make acid reflux worse. You will have the removal of your fundus which houses Ghrenlin so you no longer feel hunger. You retain the use of your polyoric valve. They both have pros and cons so it depends on your needs. I hope this information helps you a little.

buckeyeern
on 4/3/14 1:06 am - sheperdsville, KY

Thank you.  I have read what you stated.  Im still just unsure...maybe its just me trying to push off decision. But any personal stories from patients would be great

barb.k
on 4/3/14 1:04 am - Williamson, GA

I am surprised that you "are supposed to have your decision made" before meeting the surgeon one to one. I went into my first appointment with a idea of what I wanted but after talking to the surgeon decided on another surgery. I think you need to be extremely educated, but open to suggestion due to medical conditions, your history of weight loss/gain, as well as habits or choices that you might not be willing to give up. This is a lifestyle change, not a temporary fix.

barb.k

buckeyeern
on 4/3/14 1:09 am - sheperdsville, KY

I agree.. I'm sure I could change right up to the meeting with Dr. . He truly was articulate with his description ( positives ) of all surgeries which is part of my issue..

barb.k
on 4/3/14 1:34 am - Williamson, GA

Exactly, but we are not all the same, therefore individual consult is important. I suggest seeing him, and telling him that you need guidance to what specific benefits each surgery would have FOR YOU.

barb.k

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/3/14 6:48 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I'm scheduled for the sleeve. I wasn't crazy about the malabsorption of nutrients that would be for life and the rerouting of my intestines but you really should check with your insurance and what they require/cover. I at first was in lap band territory for awhile and I used the time my ins wanted to research other options,had to do medically supervised weight program, so you still have time to make up your mind.

buckeyeern
on 4/3/14 7:01 am - sheperdsville, KY

OK..appreciate the feedback

Most Active