4 days Post Op----YEAH!!! Protein Powder reviews please? :)

nicholeann1977
on 4/4/14 4:33 pm

Hello!  I had my surgery on Monday (phew!!) so glad that part is over! :)  I was NERVOUS!

I'm looking for a really good protein powder to try....can you guys let me know what brands you like and were the highest protein?

I've been using a few samples my dietician gave me but wanted to get some ideas of ones to try when I go to purchase.

Thanks for your help!!  Nichole

mkvand
on 4/4/14 5:29 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

I liked the unjury chicken soup flavor.  It tastes like cup of soup, and warm liquids went down better.  Also, get a tub of unflavored.  You can add it to all kinds of foods (note, unflavored does have some flavor, just no added flavor).

VSG 1/6/14 with Dr. Alvarez

sassyscorpio
on 4/4/14 6:17 pm

Call Sytrax and ask them for a sample packet. You can get a bunch of different flavors to try. Send me a pm and I will get the info for you of a bunch of places to get samples. You don't want to buy a bunch of stuff right now.

If you have a GNC they will let you sample protein powders and ready to drink protein drinks.

band 12-29-06     revision  to sleeve  Alberto Aceves  4-29-09

I love my sleeve!!

Lost 107 lbs and maintaining

Posted Image

(deactivated member)
on 4/4/14 11:28 pm - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

Unjury is the Awesome - Quality ingredients.  You can taste the difference and it is really easy to drink!! Many flavours and choices>

(deactivated member)
on 4/4/14 11:29 pm - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

Unjury is awesome - Quality ingredients.  You can taste the difference and it is really easy to drink!! Many flavours and choices>

JJ0609
on 4/5/14 1:34 am

I like ready to go shakes from Wal-Mart Atkins, Muscle Milk and Six Star as well as Muscle Milk from the Shell Mart. Mint Chocolate Overload and Banana Crème is so great. All the flavors are good to me. I like to drink one a day of the 40g Muscle Milk Pro Series to get in a lot of protein and then eat the rest of my protein. But sipping on two of these a day and you have 80g of protein and only about $6-8 invested. It is worth it in my book.  

I have read a lot about Syntrax Matrix powder but not tried it. 

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

Cunning_Pam
on 4/5/14 1:36 am
RNY on 12/18/13

Jay Robb vanilla is my go-to. It's delicious, dissolves very easily, makes a smooth, thinner drink (as opposed to a thick and/or gritty milkshake texture) and is sweetened with Stevia instead of artificial sweeteners.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Tanya S.
on 4/5/14 2:13 am
RNY on 03/25/14

Congratulations on your surgery! I am ten days post surgery and am almost back to my self (better in some ways because of the weight loss already).  After surgery, I was so sick of protein drinks that most of my favorites before no longer taste good now. About all I like now is premier protein drink from sam's club. I like both the chocolate and vanilla. I also still use the vanilla flavored powder from Bariatric advantage.

hey, on a side note, I am trying to start a group on OH for all of us that have RNY surgery this spring. Come join us if you can.

Maples
on 4/5/14 6:23 am

The best I've found & can truly recommend is by Sytrex and the two I like most are the Nectar - Strawberry Mouse & the Vanilla Bean. I blend sugar free almond milk, a little fresh banana with both strawberry & vanilla. I started with the sample pack that Sytrex offers and can report that all the flavors are tasty & good but only bought the two I mentioned. I don't have any after taste & that's why I recommend them above others I've tried.  

jdsparkee
on 4/5/14 11:43 am
RNY on 01/28/14

I have tried several powders and just can't stomach any of them so I go with the ready to drink.  I used muscle milk light (chocolate) from Costco and Premier Protein vanilla also from Costco.  I recently tried a carmel mocha flavor of Atkins and it was delicious but didn't have enough protein (I can only drink 1/2 at a time still) so I now mix a ready to drink vanilla in my shaker with a packet of decaf instant coffee and a little sugar free carmel syrup.  DELICIOUS!  I will now drink protein shakes again!  

I did try Chike and really liked a few of their flavors, I just can't get past the gritty texture of powder.  

SW: 226  CW:166   M1: -27 M2: -11 M3: -16 M4: -3 (health issues)

RNY Surgery Date: 1/28/14