This is probably a stupid concern but . . .

(deactivated member)
on 4/4/14 2:14 am
RNY on 04/10/14

My surgery is scheduled for Thursday 4-10.  That is in 6 days and I am due to start my period any time now.  I have never had surgery before so I've never had to deal with this.  Is it a problem to be on your period when you have surgery?  I feel really dumb asking this question but it is a concern for me.

White Dove
on 4/4/14 2:19 am - Warren, OH

It happens all the time.  They will give you sanitary pads to use in the hospital.

(deactivated member)
on 4/4/14 3:06 am

Asking questions is a good thing.If you don't want to ask up in the right part of the screen there is a magnifying glass you can click on it and type what you are looking for.I usually do it when I may have something I don't want to share.

Asking questions is important.There is a lot of information on this website and there are a lot of people that can help you.

Best Wishes to you on your upcoming surgery.

Cathy W.
on 4/4/14 3:21 am

There's never a dumb question.  That's what is great is that we can support and answer questions for each other. 

Less than a week to go before your surgery.  Exciting to think that this time next week, you'll be a post-op.  All the best of luck to you!

(deactivated member)
on 4/4/14 3:33 am
RNY on 04/10/14

Thank you for the responses and good wishes!  I'm excited but find myself over analyzing every little detail (obviously!)  I'm ready to do this!

civilmomma
on 4/4/14 3:41 am
VSG on 03/07/14

Mine started right before surgery but was light enough to not worry about until after the operation.  Once I got to my room I put on undies and a pad.  It was a bit nasty b/c they collect your pee to monitor output and wearing a pad makes that part a little messy/unpleasant to look at. 

Overall, it was fine.  I just told my nurse so she wasn't startled by the blood in the pee collector.

The nurses said lots of women get their period before/during the surgery stay and it is not a big deal.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

Sandy M.
on 4/4/14 5:25 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

I'm in full menopause, and I had a surprise period the day of surgery - and it was a big one!  The hospital has special panties just for such an occasion.  Not glamorous, but no big deal.

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

gtrdyfor50
on 4/4/14 7:11 am
RNY on 10/08/13
Ditto the others. I have had an ablation but "boom"! there it was on the day of surgery. Tell them you want the pads from the OB area, so much easier to deal with.

Pookie87
on 4/5/14 6:27 am

I started the day before my surgery. (:

Just tell the nurse, she will help you.

Vicki PNW
on 4/5/14 6:42 am, edited 4/5/14 6:43 am

The day of my hysterectomy in 1991, I was bleeding quite heavily.  The nurses in the pre-op unit placed a pad between my legs after I changed into the hospital gown.  I was wheeled into the OR with the pad still between my legs.  But the operation was done anyway.  No biggie.

If you should start bleeding, then the hospital will provide pads from the women's unit.

You will do fine!

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

Most Active