What's your worst experience after gastric bypass surgery?

lonnierjones
on 4/7/14 1:59 am

I had my gastric bypass surgery back in December of 2013. Over three months post-op, things are going great right now -- I've lost 70 pounds already, always thought healthy and so on, but it's not all roses. I had worse days as a result of my experiment and in a way, mismanagement. Dumping syndrome? Had that! What's yours?

Diabetes Diet Journal Blog

KevinBacon
on 4/7/14 2:11 am
VSG on 03/10/14

I was sleeved. 

Worst for me was when my body filled with bile and there was a window of time when it felt like the doctors didn't know what was going on. 

Since being home it's all been in my head. It's been hard coping with the aftershocks and not having food to help me through it. 

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

Gwen M.
on 4/7/14 2:14 am
VSG on 03/13/14

The bile was from your gallbladder right?  Not related to the VSG?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

jenorama
on 4/7/14 2:18 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

My worst experience was a fecal impaction issue about a week post-op. I went to emergency with it, but it ended up resolving without manual intervention. I was very glad I didn't have to have anyone digging all up in there!

Other than that, things have been pretty good. 

Jen

CPA_Loser
on 4/7/14 3:11 am - WA

I had this same exact issue about a week or so after surgery and I too went to the ER. Horrible experience and I am still suffering badly with constipation. Ugh!

I also had a small bowel obstruction about 3.5 weeks after surgery. I had severe abdominal pain and vomiting which caused me to go to the ER. Morphine barely helped! My surgeon had to go back in and clear scar tissue which had caused the blockage. I am still recovering from that (I was discharged on my 4 week postop date and tomorrow I am 5 weeks postop). I had to go back to liquid diet for about a week - no fun!

jenorama
on 4/7/14 4:47 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Oh noes!  That's not cool.  :(  My surgeon advised about a week of Miralax (gross****il things returned to normal.  Now I do a double dose of Benefiber in my take-everywhere water bottle and that seems to do the trick to keep things on the regular.  I fear a blockage and I'm glad you're recovering well from that.  :D

Jen

gtrdyfor50
on 4/7/14 6:32 am
RNY on 10/08/13
I think that there are a lot of people that come on here and read the complications and think that most people have them.

I DO NOT want to discount what those that did have complications went through, no way. I do want to respond to this thread as someone who has not run into anything negative other than a small drain tube issue. I have not dumped, have not had the foamies, have not had any food stuck, have not dumped. There are a lot of people who are like me.

KevinBacon
on 4/7/14 9:11 am
VSG on 03/10/14

I read countless stories of complications and still had my procedure done because I Really wanted it dispite the risks. **** happens. some of us have complications. some of you will but most won't. if reading about these issues turns you off from surgery then I don't think you were ready to begin with.

It's a risk we all take. it wasn't the end of the world and I'm better everyday.

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

dragonlove
on 4/7/14 9:12 am
RNY on 11/20/13

My worst experiences were when I ate a little too much and felt very unhappy and had to lie down about 20 minutes until it passed.  The other "worst" was right after coming home - when I sat up from bed, it just felt like my innards were shifting around.

Aside from that, I, like another poster, wanted to comment to keep this from being a topic that will end up scaring the $(#*& out of someone considering it.  :)

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

CPA_Loser
on 4/7/14 10:02 am - WA

I agree with the recent posts that most people do not have complications. I just wanted to share mine and even with the complication - I would do this surgery again. If you have a surgeon you trust, you can deal with complications. As soon as I was admitted to the ER my surgeon was there and was diligent to find out what was wrong and fixed it. I am doing very well now and have no regrets. NONE.

The constipation on the other hand is very common AND annoying!!