Gastric sleeve biggest mistake of my life

Ms Shell
on 4/15/14 3:56 am - Hawthorne, CA

I am so sorry to hear about your complications and couldn't imagine what you are going through.  Have any of your doctor's discussed just removing your entire stomach?  I KNOW that sounds drastic, but one of the reasons I chose VSG was because I researched gastrectomies for things like ulcers and stomach cancer and came across a family who had a gene for stomach cancer and the entire family opted to have their stomachs removed and they are living happy healthy lives.

If you google "family removes stomach" you'll find the family.  I just did it and found not only the article I remember back in 2006 but some recent families that have done it to.  If your stomach is the issue (like with stomach cancer) maybe the removal is possible?

Praying that you find the answer that fits your life.

MS Shell

Sherry3209
on 4/15/14 7:22 am

I am having so many complications right now I don't think I could handle that surgery. They think I have a gastro infection right now. Bile is coming out of my feeding tube and last night I threw bile up. Going back to see my original surgeon this week to see what he has to say. Have not been to him in a year after he sent me to a gastroentorogist. My new doctor has done everything to help me.

gabby169kitty
on 4/16/14 2:38 am

If you think you have an infection get yourself to the ER if you can't see your doctor until later. A belly infection can be a very difficult and prolonged recovery.

Surgery will be hopefully in October or November 2014, with Dr. Megan Gilmore

Lori W.
on 4/15/14 8:19 am - Pittsburgh, PA
RNY on 05/12/14

So sorry for your problems. How were you doing after the surgery, before the feeding tube?

Sherry3209
on 4/15/14 8:24 am

Could not eat more than three or four bites of food without getting sick. Have no appetite at all.

Lori W.
on 4/15/14 8:57 am - Pittsburgh, PA
RNY on 05/12/14

Wow. So it's been bad from the start. I think I would go to a different bariatric surgeon as the next step. Good luck to you.

Melissa155
on 4/20/14 11:26 am - OH
I had my surgery July 2011, while I haven't had the feeding tube, I very well could have if I wasn't so diligent in my protein and vitamin consumption. I too can only eat a couple bites before feeling ill. I wouldn't say I regret the surgery, but it most certainly puts a strain on relationships, life enjoyment and personal satisfaction. I never have received mental treatment pre or post op and therefore had to embrace this life by myself. I learned to eat very slow, small quantities every 2 hours or less. I have to do protein shakes and juice fruits & vegis for nutrients. Annually I get a full exam to insure all my insides are working correctly and my nutrient numbers are good. They are, however, it is a constant battle that no one in the world understands but you which becomes a lonely battle. Best wishes through your journey and know that you are not alone.
Most Active