3 years post-op. What are you eating?

bnederochie
on 4/9/14 12:32 am

So the subject is pretty self-explanitory. But to delve a little deeper, I am 3 years post-op. And have fallen off the wagon for the last....almost a year? Shame on me, I know. But I am 110% ready to pick it back up again. So my question to you all is, what are/were you eating at 3 years after? And I know its different for everybody, but how much should we be eating at this point? Any direction here would be much appreciated!

Candy V.
on 4/9/14 12:56 am - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

This link may give you ideasI am a year and a half out, but my plan doesn't change the recommended amount after to goal wt, so I am eating now the same I should be eating at 3 years

plan said over a yr 1200-1500 calories

i don't count calories, just small and often

3 small meals (by volume 1 to 1 1/2 cups)

1-2 snacks (1 cup or less). I sometimes have 3 snacks if they are lower calorie like dill pickles, lite yogurt, cheese stick etc

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

siberiancat
on 4/9/14 2:25 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I am 5 years post RNY.  My maintanence plan is 1200-1400 calories, 130 grams carbs, 80 grams of protein. I also track ounces of fluid - aiming for 100 ounces a day.

I keep a daily food journal for at least 3 months running every year to make sure I'm on track.  I usually find that I've allowed carbs providing little nutrition back into my eating and writing everything down for 3 months makes me look at food labels and make better decisions.  I eat protein first, then veggies and fruit and there is usually not room for anything else.

I weigh myself every morning after getting up (and urinating).  That way I know if I'm creeping up and there are no suprises!

That's what works for me.

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Ladytazz
on 4/9/14 4:33 am

I think we are all different in what we eat further out.  You have to find what works for you.  I have never maintained a normal weight before for this long so I am very diligent about what I eat and how it might affect my weight.  I don't track or count calories, I haven't for a few years now.  I just have found some guidelines over the years that I follow personally and seem to be working as I have been a normal weight for about 3 years no.  My guidelines may be different then everyone elses.  Hell, they may be different (and are) from my own guidelines from a few months ago.  I am always changing in what I like to eat but what I have done pretty consistently is:

No drinking with meals or 30 minutes afterwards.  I think this may have been the biggest help because I am very conscious to get in at least 100 oz of fluids a day and I try to drink 32 oz between meals.  I know that if I eat something else I have to start the 30 minutes over again and if I am very thirsty it may not be worth it.

No impulse eating.  Not that I plan every bite but I try not to eat mindlessly.  I think about what I eat before I put it in my mouth.  Does it fit in with my food for the day?  Is there protein in it?  Too many carbs?  Can I work it into a meal?  Not popping things in my mouth willy nilly has been a big help for me.

I totally avoid things with sugar and gluten.  That has been a non negotiable rule for me.  No intentional sugar or gluten.  I check labels if I can and if I can't I don't eat it.  I find that not eating those things is easier for me then trying to eat them in moderation.  I am not a moderation person.

In that line of thinking, I don't graze.  I don't pick up a can of nuts and keep eating and eating.  If I decide to have nuts or something like that I get a normal portion and eat that.  Some things, like meat, I don't have to measure because I can only eat so much, but others, like nuts and popcorn I can eat and eat and eat so I make sure I have a beginning and an end.  Same with my meals.  I have a beginning and an end, usually when I am satisfied.  Once I have taken my last bite I set my phone timer for 30 minutes.  That keeps me from picking at what might be left.

Which brings to mind another thing I try to do, which is not to have a bite here and a taste there.  If I am cooking something I might have a small taste to see if it needs something but my rule is, if I eat anything solid then I have to wait 30 minutes before I drink.  If I am feeding the grandkids or we go out to eat I don't take a bite of whatever they have.  I have seen to many times where people have an "occasional" bite here and there and they don't realize that they are eating more then they tell themselves.  People who say they just took a taste of the cake don't realize that they really had a full serving, just in little tastes.  That goes with thinking about what I put in my mouth before I do it, not afterwards.

Last, I do not beat myself up if I mess up anywhere.  I am human and really, what the hell does it matter if I had too much meatloaf or sugar free ice cream?  Once it's in my stomach I can't do anything about it anyway so if I really made a bad choice I look to see what I can do better next time and I try to make all my "mistakes" into learning experiences.  Eating is a natural function of survival.  I wouldn't beat myself up over breathing wrong, I won't beat myself up over a poor choice.  I just learn what I can and move on.  If I find myself obsessing over something I ate hours ago then there is something wrong with me.  It isn't about the food anymore but what causes me to make bad choices.

I hope this is helpful.  So far it  has worked for me but who knows?  I may (hopefully) be tweaking things for years to come.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

AnneGG
on 4/9/14 7:47 am

I'm 3 ¾ years out from RNY, and so far have managed to maintain by sticking to the basics of protein first and only complex carbs for the most part- sometimes I have a bite or two of something else. I don't journal or count calories or grams anymore, but monitor my weight daily and adjust for the day. I also speed walk at least 2 ½ miles every single day that I can no matter what the weather unless it's raining, and then I do the treadmill.

I agree with the others about not beating yourself up- just correct course and get yourself on track again.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

cabin111
on 4/9/14 10:58 am

This may sound strange but the first few years I would start my breakfast with Wendy's Chili and some vegetables.  Post WLS you can throw out your old typical choices for breakfast.  So a couple of spoonfuls of Wendy's Chili and some mix vegetables was how I started the day.  Still would do things like egg or tuna salad.  Things like cooked steak strips, plain yogurt (add fresh fruit), plain nuts, raisins, plain Cheerios, protein shakes...These would work.  Trying my hardest to avoid sugar and simple carbs.  Reminder...simple carbs=the enemy.  

Eggface
on 4/9/14 11:29 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Still eating high protein, complex carb only, moderate fat. I haven't had pasta, rice, bread, crackers, etc in 8 years... rarely want them (amazing when you purge your body of them for so long they don't call to you as much) I can't do the moderation thing with those so I just ax them.

You are welcome to hit my blog (link below) I post one of my daily menus every few days. Hope it gives you a few new ideas.

I'd have a chat with your Dr again... they have heard it all and understand sometimes life happens... just tell him I want to touch base and get back on track again. He can hook you back up with support (nutritionist, support group, get your labs done.)

Best to you!!

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

AnneGG
on 4/9/14 10:17 pm, edited 4/9/14 10:19 pm

The recipes I got from Eggface sure supported my rear shrinking and still does keep it shrunk, and will most likely do so for the rest of my life. Definitely check out her blog.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Most Active