Looking for information on LAP Band in Wisconsin

afortney
on 4/10/14 10:20 am

I am starting to look at LAP Band as a private pay patient. Any suggestions for surgeons in the Northeast Wisconsin or the Milwaukee area? Also, any ideas on cost. Thanks very much ! 

Hislady
on 4/10/14 1:03 pm - Vancouver, WA

Doesn't matter where you are from a self pay lap band is a bad idea anywhere. The band ius noitorious for having problems and if you are self pay all those problems and fills will cost you lots of money. I just had to have mine removed and will have to poay for it myself because my insurance like so many others doesn't cover bariatric surgery or complications from it. So I don't even hnow yet how many tens of thousands of dollars I'm in debt. I had no choice tho I kept having problems swallowing and it was causing so much pain I couldn't stand it anymore! This was all while it was empty. The problem is scar tissue builds up between the band and the stomach causing tightness and that eventually causes the need to remove it. Even the manufaturer says it shouldn't be kept for more than 10 years so then you will need another surgery. It is also the worst for weight loss, only 50% of people lose any weight much less all the weight they need to. So please look at other surgeries. Costs can run anywhere from $15,000 to $30,000.

MsBatt
on 4/10/14 1:21 pm

Google "Failed LapBands". I think you'll quickly change your mind about the Band.

Nic M
on 4/10/14 2:13 pm

My signature line tells you the most important thing you need to know.  Google left shoulder pain & lap band; band failures. Don't subject yourself to the misery and damage.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Valerie G.
on 4/11/14 11:04 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I wouldn't recommend it in any state to my worst enemy.  Seriously, look at other procedures.  It's less invasive going in, then they have to tear your body apart to get it back out when it starts causing problems.  All of that for the lowest results in weight loss.  If you really think you simply need to just eat less, then look up the VSG (Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy)

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

56sunShine14
on 4/11/14 11:41 pm

You need to be very sure the band is what you want!  I am hoping for revision and although some people have been successful with it, many more have not.  It is a tool that will fail you and make you think it is all your fault.

AnneGG
on 4/12/14 12:02 am, edited 4/12/14 12:02 am

I first wanted the lap band, too, because it is the least invasive surgery, even went into surgery for it. But they couldn't do it because of a huge hiatal hernia. So I had an RNY a month later.

I am totally grateful now I couldn't get a lap band. It has a maintenance factor and high complication rate.

Also, as a private pay person, you might want to check into having your surgery in Mexico. They have some excellent surgeons and modern clinics down there, and it is a lot cheaper.  The main thing is to get follow up care lined up before going.

I know several people who are very pleased. 

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

gabby169kitty
on 4/12/14 12:30 am

I was also going to suggest going to Mexico for the sleeve or rny. I'd highly doubt a person could get a self-pay band for cheaper than the flight and surgery in Mexico. I've read so many positive experiences of the people who went to Mexico. All those surgeons do is WLS so they do hundreds a year!

Surgery will be hopefully in October or November 2014, with Dr. Megan Gilmore

Most Active