Questions about the procedure and recovery

cg98
on 4/11/14 2:54 am

I am interested in having the sleeve done but wanted to get feedback from those who have actually had the procedure.  How long is the surgery, how long were you in the hospital, and what was your recovery like?   I've read a few articles online but I would really appreciate feedback from actual patients.

thanks!

BigPoppa22
on 4/11/14 6:29 am
RNY on 03/21/14

I have not had the sleeve but I have had the RNY three weeks ago. The surgery took about 1 hour. I was in recovery for about two hours, longer than most but just wasn't waking up. I ended up in the hospital for three days. The initial plan was to head home after day 1. However I had issues with pain when eating and drinking. The surgeon on Monday, I had surgery on a Friday told me to try hot liquids and everything was great. Recovery has been pretty good so far. This is my first week back to work. I am tired and still have 1/6 incisions that is healing. Other than that if you follow the surgeon and nutritionists instructions you should have a good recovery.

gabby169kitty
on 4/11/14 6:44 am

There can be so much variation. Some people are in the hospital for less than 24 hours but my surgeon has a minimum stay of 2 full days. I've not had the surgery yet so I can't comment on the recovery. There is a specific sleeve board. If you click on Forums, go to surgery types and click on Vertical Sleeve.

Surgery will be hopefully in October or November 2014, with Dr. Megan Gilmore

KevinBacon
on 4/11/14 7:06 am
VSG on 03/10/14

Most people stay 2-3 days. I was in for 12 after complications stemming from getting my gall bladder out at the same time. 

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

emelar
on 4/11/14 7:26 am - TX

45 minutes; one day; easy recovery with very little pain, more soreness.  No problem drinking.  Getting use to the new way of eating was hard.

AnneGG
on 4/11/14 11:28 pm, edited 4/11/14 11:29 pm

RNY 3 ¾ years ago. I was up walking as soon as I got to my room after surgery, which took 2 hours because I had a hiatal hernia repaired at the same time. I was in the hospital overnight. I started walking some distance within 2 weeks. 

My complication was nausea for the first 4 months, but was well medicated and is rare.

I've been doing terrific since!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Colleen O.
on 4/12/14 12:09 am
VSG on 04/09/14

I had the sleeve surgery this past Wednesday. Surgery lasted about 1 1/2 hours. I was in recovery a couple of hours. I walked from the recovery transport bed to my room bed when I got there. I was supposed to stay one night but ended up choosing to stay a second night due to nausea and vomiting. But that was just MY reaction to anesthesia/pain meds - not everyone experiences this reaction. I walked from my room to the car on my own yesterday. I haven't had any pain meds since leaving the hospital and I have minimal pain. 

HW: 387 (12/13)  ConsultW: 383 (12/13)  SW: 321 (4/9/14)  CW: 234.6 (10/19/14)

Chelle40D
on 4/12/14 11:35 am, edited 4/12/14 11:37 am
VSG on 03/18/14

Sleeved on 3/18.  I have no memory of how long the surgery was and how long I was in the recovery room....I should ask my husband since he was waiting.  My surgery was around 10:30 in the morning and I was scheduled to go home the next afternoon and opted to stay another night.  I had nausea but no vomiting and I was up and walking around after a few hours in my room.  It was more the pain in the incisions and not wanting to deal with kids and home life quite yet.  I needed more time to get used to the feeling of drinking the protein and the weird nausea that went with that.  By the evening after my surgery I was doing great and also happy I stayed.  I went home the next day before noon.  I took pain meds for about 2 days at home, mostly because they helped me sleep. 

Bruce S.
on 4/12/14 3:59 pm - Chicago, IL
VSG on 03/24/14 with

I've had the surgery on March 24, 2014 and the operation took about an hour. I was in the hospital for three days but the extra day was because they couldn't regulate my blood pressure. I do have hypertension and that's why I was in for three days. As for the recovery, I'm walking every day. I am now three weeks out and I have no pain in the stomach at all.

Bruce

slide
on 4/12/14 4:25 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/27/14

My surgery was about 3 hours, longer than usual due to my hernia. In the hospital for three days, lucky to only have nausea the first day. I'd say it was a good 2-3 weeks once I was home before I started to approach normal.  All worth it though. 

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1464 views