Update from OH - Surgery procedure and surgery date

Member Services
on 4/11/14 7:07 am - Irvine, CA

Our IT Team is working on adding the surgery procedure and surgery date so it appears on members' posts.  Our IT Team will release it as soon as possible.

We want to thank all of you that let us know how important this is to our OH community. 

zmdh39
on 4/11/14 12:47 pm

What about the surgeon that perform our surgery? Will that appear on our posts as well?

Member Services
on 4/11/14 1:32 pm - Irvine, CA

Only if they appear on the first page, if they appear on the "additional" surgeons page they will not.

zmdh39
on 4/11/14 3:37 pm

Thanks for your response, but why would surgeons not listed on the first page, but are listed on additional pages not show up? When searching for information, its a nice feature to have to be able to find others that had surgery with the same doctor as myself. I get that there are similarities with having bariatric surgery, and members regardless of who performed their surgery can answer a number of questions...but what about the people seeking information and advice from a person that had surgery with the same surgeon that they themselves used? By not allowing a person's surgeon to appear simply because they are listed on page 2 instead of page 1, seems like it would make it more difficult for us forum users to meet and ask questions to people that have better insight because they actually used the same surgeon as us. Please clarify if I am simply misunderstanding how your updates display the information, but it doesn't seem that this update benefits the forum members, or their ability to connect with same surgeon members at all.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/12/14 11:18 am - OH

Most probably, the surgeons listed on the first page have paid for "advertising".

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

zmdh39
on 4/14/14 2:39 am

I have no doubt they pay to be there, and that's fine, surgeons that pay should get some extra perks, and the forum has every right to make money on advertising...but I work in technology and I believe not allowing certain surgeons to be listed is just a bad move. There are plenty of other options that could be offered to those individual's willing to pay...not listing those who do not just makes it harder for the forums members to seek same surgeon specific infortmation, and lowers the functionality of this site. Such a disappointment.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/14/14 4:34 am - OH

If people simply want to put their surgeon's name in their signature, that would enable people to find others who have used the same surgeon.  Not as convenient, of course, but a very viable workaround.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

zmdh39
on 4/14/14 5:46 am, edited 4/14/14 5:48 am

That's true, but is against the rules in most forums. I haven't looked to see if it is allowed on this forum or not. My issue with it is that it makes for poor syndication of member profiles and the posts they make, unless the text within the signature line is indexed within the forum search options...which is unlikely...this latest update will make it increasingly hard to find both other members and informational posts on those non-listed surgeons. Basically, if I had surgery with Dr. XYZ and I wanted to find info about that doctor, or other members whom had surgery with Dr. XYZ, I can no longer use the forum search bar to find any of that. Unless the signature lines are indexed, or the forum posts specifically mentions Dr. XYZ by name, it won't be pulled up, rendering the search option practically useless for locating surgeon specific information. I find this to be a real shame because it weakens the effectiveness of this forum, and I used to find this forum helpful when I was researching for my surgery, but it explains while the replies on posts have dropped so low. The forum members rely on proper exposure and indexing of their posts, many don't know enough about the web to understand that importance, but not having it is going to be a great disservice to them...especially those researching, or asking for advice. Why would you impose an "upgrade" that negatively impacts the vast majority of your members, and makes information harder for them to find...that just crazy.

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 4/14/14 8:19 am, edited 4/14/14 8:19 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

That portion ("There are 110 additional Bariatric Surgeons in Illinois matching your filter" DOES NOT show up when I perform a search. Please fix this!

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

Member Services
on 4/14/14 8:32 am - Irvine, CA

You can access this by clicking the green "GO" button to the right of "Find a" to bring up the map.  Click the state of IL, View All Bariatric Surgeons, scroll down.