Ennie, Meenie, Minie, Moe...

paragondream
on 4/11/14 8:11 am

Yes, I posted this in the finance section and the gastric bypass as well. Just trying to reach the most people.

So I have recently been given the green light to have my VSG surgery with Dr. Aceves in Mexico...a doctor that I have been hearing a lot of positive things about. However, I am a self pay. His office supposedly works with fundmydr and medloanfinance. I have also heard good things about care credit. Have ANY of you actually used these people? I'm not getting much back when I research them, even in other other websites and the forums here.

PLLLEASE! Any advice would be great. This is one of the last hurdles...

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/11/14 11:35 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I've used Care Credit for dental work in the past. If memory serves, they have a setup where if you open an account for one big "purchase" and pay the whole thing in the specified set of installments (i.e. 6 months, 24 months, etc.) then there's no interest. If you miss a payment or don't pay it off in time, you owe backdated interest for the entire period, which can apparently range between 14 - 26%.

So in my case, I had an account for $1500 to cover a root canal and crown, and I was able to pay over 6 months. Since I paid the amount off within that time frame, there was $0 interest on the whole thing.

The only hassle was that they tried to get me to keep the account open after I had everything paid off, "in case I ever needed other medical care," and it was kind of a hassle to shut it down, but otherwise there were no issues.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

zmdh39
on 4/11/14 3:14 pm

I have heard of care credit, but not the other two. While I have never used them myself, I can offer some general advice that might help. Google search keyword phrases like "credit care reviews" or "credit care complaints" "credit care scam" and see what search results you find. Not in all instances, but as a general rule a good surgeon is not likely to use a shady finance company that is going to rip off his patients...there are exceptions if the finance company is newly working with your surgeon, so always double check. Another option you might explore if your surgeon accepts paypal, is to look into using paypal's bill me later option. Paypal is an industry standard for most businesses, and the bill me later option inadvertently offers a great opportunity to do a sort of in house financing, if you qualify for the amount needed to cover your surgery cost, and the repayment options fit your means as well. Its a non-traditional approach, but a decent option for people who are uneasy about dealing with companies they don't know much about or can't find reliable information on. Of course you can always call and talk to the finance company directly, and have them explain the process and stipulations. Hope this helps you out some!

Most Active