insurance rep said I might have to pay $335,000 because policy excludes WLS and I panicked

Jen Lyn
on 4/12/14 12:38 am, edited 4/12/14 1:09 am
RNY on 11/11/13

I had insurance that excluded WLS. I gave the doctor and hospital the information instead of doing straight pay in case they decided to pay for the hernia operation done at the same time.  Blue Cross called me and told me I could be forced the pay the entire amount. I was upset.  Self pay is $17,000.  I called the doctor and hospital and I will pay the selfpay price.  If this happens to you, do not be scared as I was. The call came Friday at 4:40 and they told me that at 5 so I had all weekend to fret. 

RRach
on 4/12/14 1:06 am

Oh my goodness!! :( I'm glad you got it worked out. I can only imagine the panic you felt hearing $335k! bless your heart! :(

"Never Give Up: There is no such thing as an ending. Just a new beginning.

AnneGG
on 4/12/14 1:08 am

Of I were you, I would consider looking into having your surgery in Mexico- good surgeons, modern clinics, and a lot cheaper. 

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Mary Gee
on 4/12/14 4:29 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Uh, she's already had the surgery.  Too late for Mexico.  

Jen - So many employers are now adding WLS exclusions to their policies to reduce their premiums.  $17,000 is a lot of money, but thank goodness you're allowed to go the self-pay route.

Good luck to you.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Cunning_Pam
on 4/12/14 5:43 am
RNY on 12/18/13

$335,000?! For an RNY and hernia repair?? Were they going to use solid gold instruments or something? That amount is absolutely outlandish. I'm glad it worked out to be "only" $17,000 for you.

I had an RNY, was in the hospital for four days, needed some additional testing after the surgery and the total bill from the hospital was $48,000. Not sure what the surgeon's fee was, since my insurance covered it 100%, but I still can't see how they could come up with that number they quoted you.

Just a thought, did you mean to type $35,000?

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

56sunShine14
on 4/12/14 7:59 am

I wondered the same thing because that can't be plausible!  Had to ******ror.  Hell, if that is the real figure I'll come there myself and bat that person (NOT the poster) from here to eternity!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1322 views