Been awhile. But back and need your help!

Luvnall3
on 4/12/14 12:55 pm

I was sleeved Aug. 2012. Highest weight 263, starting weight 249, current weight 190-194 ish. I did not have any follow up, assistance or guidance from my surgeon or dietician after my surgery & still dont. I have been on my own from the begininng. I lost an initial 80 lbs in my first year. I have gained some back currently. My goal was to lose 100 lbs. so I would have 30 lbs left to lose. Again, I do not know if that is an accurate goal, since I have never been told what I should weigh. Somehow, I just thought I could obtain that goal.

Well, I am having the hardest time getting any loss. I have the sleeve of stone. I have always been able to tolorate everything. Limited to nothing that hurts. I didnt begin adding carbs until I was 6 mo post op. I have to watch this since it is easy to slip back to eating burgers and pizza that got me big. I cannot have sugar free items any longer since I am allergic to them and they cause migraines. :( I excercise 4-5 times a week for alomost an hour each time. I am active at work and always active with my kids. I drink my fluids and take my vitamins daily. I just dont know how to jump start the loosing like I had earlier into post op. How do I know if I have stretched my sleeve, if I do not have a doc to test me? Primary doc want to put me back on Phentramine to jump start things and loose the 30 lbs. NO WAY!! There has to be another way.

I am not complaining by any means, I am proud of how far I have come and lost and know I could never have done this without my sleeve surgery. But. I have been so depressed that I have not gotten any closer to my goal. I do not know how to eat at this stage. Every doc seems to be differenct & the info I find online all seems confusing. I dont even have papers or directions at this stage. I dont know how much protien, carbs or fats I am suppost to take in. I feel lost. I need help from those who are sleeved during 2012 or those who are more than 1.5 yrs out.  I know everyone is different and their bodies are differnet. But anything will help me at this point. I dont want to continue to gain and go back to what I was before. Help me please with your suggestions and daily meal plans.

Thanks from a struggling sleever.

kathkeb
on 4/12/14 1:35 pm

How about calling either your surgeon or PCP office and getting a referral to a dietician who works with WLS patients?

Even if they done offer it as part of their program, you should be able to seek a dietician or nutritionist on your own.

Also, are there local WLS support groups you can join to get support? That might be helpful.

My surgeon does not give weight loss goals ... He wants people to get healthy and maintain a better quality of life, but doesn't suggest weight loss goals.

Lyou have every right to be proud of your progress ... And give yourself permission to keep going and reach a healthy bmi.

Kath

Luvnall3
on 4/12/14 2:09 pm

Thank you Kathkeb. I feel have bettered my life and I feel healthier!

But I still feel a little lost as to where I am suppost to be headed. You are right. A dietician would be ideal. But I have attempted to get a referral for a dietician and the cost is way to much for me to afford. I am looking into a support group early next month. Crossing my fingers I can find info there. I just want to know that I am on the right track. I don't even know if I am in maintenance or how to continue to loose. Thanks for your input. ;)

on 4/13/14 12:19 am - Canada

How did you get your WLS in the first place?  Im having my RNY April 22nd and I had to go tnrough quite the ordeal leading up to getting a surgery date ie social work, dietitian,  nurse practitioner,  physiotherapist,  and pharmacist.  There should be someone you should be calling to say hey you guys I had my durgrry and have had no follow ups.  I need some help!  Even put a call in to your sergeons office.  You must advocate for your own health care because  nobody else will.  Good luck  :-)  Val

Candy V.
on 4/12/14 10:20 pm - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

Try posting on this VSG board

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/

They will have surgery specific ideas for you and there are many pages of history including menus you can read. 

I had RNY and eat high protein, moderate carbs and fat. 

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

AnneGG
on 4/12/14 11:16 pm

I am 3 3/4 years out from an RNY, but maintenance and weight loss once we are past the honeymoon phase are identical.

I would suggest focusing on your non-scale victories rather than the scale- the scale can drive a person nuts.

Now I weigh daily to keep myself on track because I hate the losing part so much. I also stick to the basics- I can't allow white carbs or sugar anywhere in my universe because I know I am a food addict.

And I exercise religiously and up it if I need to. Plus journaling if I need to.

Maintenance is a bear, isn't it?

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 4/13/14 2:01 am

Luv, nothing "hurts" to eat should be a good thing, I think. but I love to eat! 

I can only tell you that when I gain? the worst thing I can do is "clamp down" on myself. what works is relaxing, oddly. as soon as I accept where I am - it really is OK to stay right where you are - then, I stop gaining. at least so far!

really glad you decided not to take the damn diet pill, WTH? that stuff is never good for you.

and you are exercising regularly? how awesome is that?

have you considered just practicing being happy right where you are? doesn't have to be forever. and it's just a suggestion.

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1543 views