Optifast diet-30 days-very weak

Castine1234
on 4/13/14 9:54 pm
RNY on 05/06/14

Thank you for the encouragement and good luck with your surgery.  I feel much better today.  That's what keeps me going is the weight loss.  In 5 days down 8.6 lbs. 

on 4/13/14 10:47 pm - Canada

Wow! 8.6lbs that's fabulous!   Keep up the great worked.  Just a heads up don't weigh your self every day becsuse sometimes the scale wont cooperate.  It likes to be a pain in the butt and not move every once in a while.  You may go a few days with no weight loss and then all of a sudden you are down 3lbs.  So that can mess with your head.  Just remember the purpose of the Optifast is to shrink your liver so it will be easier on them when they do your surgery.  You are doing great!  Take care :-)  Val

Jiliana2
on 4/13/14 10:18 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I did Opti for 21 days (and started it while on vacation in Florida with my whole family!) and it DOES get better.

The first few days are not fun, but as you get used to the Opti, energy levels pick up and it did wonders for my skin. As I lost weight on it (26 lbs in 3 weeks), I could finally see some results of my efforts and it made it worthwhile.

Here in Ottawa, on the Opti diet, we are allowed:

• 4 Opti shakes per day
  • clear broth
  • SF jello
  • SF popsicles
  • decaf coffee/tea
  • +20 extra calories per day (so chewing gum, a hard candy, etc. is fine)
  • 2-4 metamucil capsules per shake, to keep things moving! -- RECOMMENDED here

It wasn't easy, I'll definitely grant you that. But it's important to stick to the diet that your centre prescribes to maximize your success and get you in the right frame of mind for surgery and recovery.

All the best to you as you travel this path. Please let us know how it goes in the next few days.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Castine1234
on 4/13/14 11:44 pm
RNY on 05/06/14

I am in Florida now.  We stay here 8 mos out of the year.  Then we're in Maine we're 30 miles from Canadian border.  Missed the winter LOL!  I definitely need to get things moving here.  I think today is going to be. Better day for me.  Thanks for the encouragement.  How far are you out from surgery?

Plumlove
on 4/14/14 9:03 am

Thanks everyone for all o this valuable info! Im on day 1 of 14 liquid pre op diet. My surgeon/nut don't prescribe any type of shake or product. They just gave me suggestions. Ill go to walmart today to pick up some unflavored protein to add to shakes and soups as well those broths you all just listed. Panera is around the corner from my house so thats nice!  Thanks again everyone!

Castine1234
on 4/14/14 9:17 am
RNY on 05/06/14

Make sue you like spicy MEx because this broth is definitely hot!  I like hot but my husband does not!  Can't wait to make a nice soup with it, hamburger and lots of veggies.  YUM!  But for now sigh.......

Plumlove
on 4/14/14 9:22 am

YOu mentioned making some good soup. Does your program allow soup after VSG? My nut told me no soups afterwards (of course after the next liquid phase). Basically wants me to get solid foods in for the most part. Maybe during the pure stage :-)

Most Active