Rate of Weight Loss Post-Op?

CiCiBaby
on 4/14/14 1:49 am

Hi all,

I had my DS surgery on 4/9. Today I got on the scale and I am exactly the same weight I was the morning of surgery. I did come home 11 lbs heavier (thank you IVs!) and that is gone but I feel like given that all I am having is water or Crystal Light and so far a total of 1 protein shake a day (I'm working my way up to 2 a day), that I should have lost some weight. Now I'm feeling discouraged. Is this normal???

Denise

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 4/14/14 2:31 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

Hi CiciBaby,

You are only 5 days out from surgery. I would stay away from the scale for now and concentrate on drinking water and getting in some protein. Just keep doing what you're supposed to be doing! :)

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

CiCiBaby
on 4/14/14 2:41 am

I keep telling myself exactly that but the scale haunts me! lol I'm thinking of putting it down in my basement for a while because I won't be as likely to venture down there to weigh myself

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 4/14/14 2:57 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

Yes! Hide the scale! Especially for this first month. After that, try to limit it to once per week. (I do not follow my own advice, but I should!)

Good luck with your recovery!

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

Valerie G.
on 4/14/14 3:20 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Only weigh yourself once a week, on the same day, same time so you can get a true account of your loss, for it tends to fluctuate through the day,

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Fefifofum
on 4/14/14 6:07 am
RNY on 04/03/14

Count your IV loss as a loss!

I had my surgery 4/3.

Before surgery: 239

After surgery: 249

Now: 228

It's coming off. No doubt it will for you as well.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/14/14 8:59 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

If you're sticking to your doctor's recommendations and drinking plenty of fluids, the numbers on your scale will decrease.  Relax.  You had surgery less than a week ago.  Your body is still in shock and trying to heal.

WLS is a long process.  Don't expect miracles the moment you walk out of the hospital or you'll set yourself up for failure and/or depression.  If you do all things right (more often than you do things wrong), you will succeed.

Best of luck to you.  Just give yourself a break from the scale for now.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Cunning_Pam
on 4/14/14 10:00 am
RNY on 12/18/13

Everyone above has given you great advice. You will lose if you keep following the plan! Keep drinking, focus on staying on your doctor's plan, stay off the scale (easier said than done, I know) and you will soon see the pounds dropping off.

Don't be discouraged!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

spkz007
on 4/22/14 9:32 am - Bay City, MI
RNY on 04/10/14

You said your only getting one protein shake in a day and that is not good enough. Your body will think your in starvation mode, so you need to kick it up. You need to try and get those 60g of protein in a day. That will help you. All you will be doing is drinking constantly for at least the first few weeks.

Most Active