Help! NSAIDs

rosiejm
on 4/14/14 12:42 pm

Hello All! New to this, and have a bit of a story... All in all, this friday is my rny surgery, for the second time. I took NSAIDs over the weekend, as I was in such pain. I am wondering if anyone knows how this will affect me for friday. My surgeon asked that I stop all meds at least two weeks before... so I am a little worried! Anything will help! :) Thanks

kathkeb
on 4/14/14 1:21 pm

Call your surgeons office tomorrow and find out.

Kath

basilmk
on 4/14/14 1:21 pm - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

You should contact your surgeon to see if it will be a problem.  I know that my surgeon explained it to me when I, too, had to stop my mobic but don't remember the details.

Good luck with your surgery!

Amy R.
on 4/14/14 5:20 pm

Why is Friday your "second time" for the RnY?

If you are having an RnY on Friday, NSAIDs will forever be off the table.  You'll have to find other medications.

If you have chronic pain that requires any kind of NSAID use, the RnY is a decision you need to really, really consider carefully.  The ban on NSAIDs is for life with the RnY.

If you're just asking if you'll be ok for surgery Friday since you took NSAIDs over the weekend, I'm betting you'll be fine.  But do tell your surgeon.

good luck,

amy

poet_kelly
on 4/14/14 9:04 pm - OH

Call your surgeon this morning and ask.  Taking NSAIDS in the week or two before surgery increases the risk of bleeding.  One dose may not be enough to be a problem, or your surgeon may feel it's safer to postpone surgery.

You do know RNY folks aren't supposed to take NSAIDS, right?  Not ever?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/15/14 2:54 am

if you can't stay away from NSAIDs for 2 weeks before the surgery - how will you manage the pain after? 

Not being able to take NSAIDs is one of my biggest regret for getting the RNY-  I wish I had the VSG and I could take that pain pills once in a while as needed.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

pebtash
on 4/15/14 3:10 am
VSG on 11/25/14

Is there any way you can take something else for the pain? If you are taking over the counter meds then ask you pharmacy if there is something else you can take to replace what you are already taking. If it is prescription ask your doctor to prescribe something else  explain that you are having WLS and can't take NSAID'S anymore. There are so many different pills in today's world there must be something you can take. But also confirm this with your surgeon. You don't want to take any chances. This surgery is a BIG deal you don't want to jeopardise  any thing, you want to be safe and come out of this surgery without any complications. Good Luck to you and I wish you a safe surgery.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/15/14 2:09 pm - OH

Actually, the vast majority of pain medications are NSAIDs or narcotics, so options for RNYers are very limited: Tylenol,prescription Tramadol/Ultram, or narcotics like Vicodin/Norco/Percocet, etc.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

rosiejm
on 4/28/14 3:08 pm

Hi All! Thanks all for the well wishes... I got the surgery done on the 18th (Yay)... The reason why this is my "second time" is because during the beginning of the last rny they found some lymph nodes they thought might be cancerous.. Thank God it was nothing, but waking up to know that nothing happened was the worst feeling in the world! Thankfully, I now have it... I suffer from chronic migraines, and also have vertigo- both of which I use to treat with NSAIDs. This was a difficult choice, and despite considering everything, rny was still the best option for me. What I am struggling with now, is how hungry I am.... ALL THE TIME! I don't understand why I all can I think about is food.... any suggestions? Thanks all!

MsBatt
on 4/29/14 1:04 am

Your body's signals have been disrupted by surgery, and your brain hasn't figured out the new signals yet. You're probably not really as hungry as you think you are. (*grin*)

But whether it's 'true' hunger ot 'head' hunger, it's hard to deal with. I'm sure you're still on liquids, and they just aren't very filly or satisfying.

I wish I could tell you how to make the hunger go away, but I can't. I will tell you that for most people it gets better once you're eating solid foods.