Abnormal EKG

RoxStar724
on 4/14/14 7:17 am
with

Hi all, 

Had my pre-op EKG today and turned out it was abnormal.  Being sent for a stress test some time this week and curious if anyone else has ever had an abnormal EKG before and how it all turned out?  I am kinda freaking out a bit.  Any insights, stories or similar experiences are welcome if you feel like sharing.  Thanks!

Rox

Heaviest Weight - Nov 2013 - 264...Surgery Weight - April 28th 2014 - 237

kathkeb
on 4/14/14 8:13 am

I had an abnormal EKG pro op.

They askedmewhen my heart attack was .... And I have never had a heart attack, it freaked me out!!

i saw a cardiologist and did the stress test, echo cardio gram and found out that I have a very small aortic stenosis(my valve does not fully close ... A small murmur ...

I was approved for surgery and then did a repeat echo 1 year later .. No change.

The cardiologist says I have probably had this for years ... And now i will have it checked every 5 years.

Hope your issue turns out tone minor.

Kath

56sunShine14
on 4/14/14 8:14 am

Hi RoxStar...make sure you go onto the Vertical Sleeve board too.  That's where you will get the most for your type of WLS.

Don't worry so much about the abnormal EKG...it can happen for the dumbest mistakes. Before my knee replacement mine was abnormal too.  But it was because the girl doing it could not get one of the electrodes to stick properly and it threw the read off.  However, I would never say don't look into it because it also is there for a reason..to find problems you may not know about.  So..I would say don't freak but be glad to have had a test that could pick up a potential problem BEFORE you go into surgery.

emelar
on 4/14/14 8:28 am - TX

Same as kathkeb, I have a small murmur that shows up as an acute myocardial infarction a/k/a heart attack on the EKG.  Now I just tell them before they hook me up that it's gonna read abnormal.  I got sent for a stress test before surgery too.  Hated it, but the cardiologist cleared me.

msstaceya
on 4/14/14 9:16 am - Orlando, FL

I have my pre op appt in the morning and I'm freaking out...now I'm really nervous. .

Hislady
on 4/15/14 3:58 am - Vancouver, WA

I've had it happen twice before other types of surgery, one time was because the electrode was hooked up wrong and the other time the cardiologist said that it was because I'm big chested and that sometimes throws off the results. So don't panic, most times it is just a blip in the process.

Lori W.
on 4/15/14 6:56 am - Pittsburgh, PA
RNY on 05/12/14

Experience out the wazoo here. Be patient with me as I babble until I can get to the point. This is what I found out today.  When I went to get my PCP clearance, he read the stress test results, that my cardiologist required for clearance, and it had a note about an abnormality or not matching the one I had in 2007, etc. [I had a heart attack in 2009, at age 44, with a stent placement. My heart doc believes the abnormality with the stress test nuclear imaging is related to the stent and although he released me for surgery, he said the anesthesiologist might require the heart cath. Or in his words, "Everyone wants to cover their ass." LOVE my cardiologist!! Well, I'd rather be safe, and not get rejected at the last minute, so I'm going to have the cath. procedure.] Getting back to the EKG, back in 2009 I had seen my PCP - not the one I have now - on a Monday, had a normal EKG at that visit, then had a heart attack 3 days later. I also had an abnormal EKG back 10 yrs. or so ago that had an abnormality, PCP sent me to cardiologist who looked at the EKG, explained what the "abnormality" was and that it was probably something I was born with. Too late to make a long story short but I wouldn't put too much into the EKG right now. The stress test will sort it out. If it was something really bad, you'd be in the hospital or cath. lab right now. I wish you the best!! -Lori

RoxStar724
on 4/16/14 2:28 am
with

Thanks everyone.  Stress test is scheduled for Monday.  Appreciate the support.

Heaviest Weight - Nov 2013 - 264...Surgery Weight - April 28th 2014 - 237

Most Active